Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Buttons

Civil War Military Buttons

Military buttons may carry insignia relating particular sectors of the armed forces and its regiment, the rank of the wearer and sometimes a state seal. These insignia were frequently in use over long periods of time without notable changes in design, so close scrutiny is needed to determine that a button is from the Civil War era (1861-1865).

The nature of the shank (the metal loop that enables the button to be sewn to the uniform) is a good indication of age. Civil war era buttons typically have a small circular loop to the shank. The attachment method that connects the shank to the back of the button is also a clue. For Civil War era buttons the back of the button usually has a small circular depression into which the shank is “brazed” to the back with a metallic compound that usually has a different colour than the button itself. Button backs from this period usually do not have what is termed “mushrooming”, where the area around the base of the shank is raised to a mound shape (unless created by excessive amounts of brazing compound).

Shanks which are inserted into holes in the base without any brazing compound were not in use until after World War I.

The most reliable information for dating comes from the manufacturer’s “back mark”, the sytle and lettering of which can often be tracked to a specific time period. The most prolific manufacturers were the Scovill, Waterbury, Robinson and Horstmann companies.

There is general information about US Military Uniform Button Identification here:
    Inkspotantiques.com : Inkspot Antiques and Collectibles : US Uniform Buttons - Bottles Maps Buttons Ceramics & Porcelain Dinnerware Replacements Natural History Books & Magazines World Coins & Medals Toys Tobacciana Artwork Silver and Silverplate Marbles US Coins & Medals Christmas Decorations Postage Stamps Jewelry Paper Money Odds & Ends Contemporary Collectibles Historical & Geographical Militaria Trading Cards Glass Figurines Ephemera Political Memorabilia Cameras & Photography Kitchen Collectibles Hardware Music Tools Treen Comic Books Writing & Office Inkspot Antiques and Collectibles: glassware, toys, bottles, vintage cameras, marbles, coins, ceramics, tools, and more

This website has a huge list of back marks used during, before and after the Civil War, together with dates:

Harry Ridgeway’s “Ridgeway Civil War Library” has an extensive pictorial catalogue of Army and Navy button insignia here:

and a pictorial catalogue of back marks here:

There’s good information on identification of Navy buttons here:
    There are many interesting facts about US military uniform buttons. Here are some of those - with examples, all buttons pictured are from my collection. I am using many references to Albert’s button book, probably the best resource for US military uniform buttons. His book, the first book listed ...

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Confederate Officers button.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20110729_16.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	197217
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Working...
    X