Peopling the Americas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peopling the Americas

Sub-forums "Alternative Archaeology Theories" and "Genetic Population Evidence" are both one-(dead)-link headings.

Those are not really sub-forums, but rather categories in the info center. Development of the info center is an ongoing project, and it's simply the case that no topics have been created for the subjects you mention as yet.
    Rhode Island

Comment

They are non existent links that are in there though. Yeah, there is some house cleaning and updating that needs to be done.
      Thanks for bringing that to our attention.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Greg, only link I see in either category is chase's intro to the category. I could click and open both. I don't see any non-existent links otherwise?
        Rhode Island

Comment

Subforums" is what they're called on my computer screen, FWIW. Most categoriess have them.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur View Post
            Subforums" is what they're called on my computer screen, FWIW. Most categoriess have them.
            What I mean is that you can't post comments directly to the threads, as you can in the open forum areas. The info center was/is being added to by the moderators and administrators, basically. For instance, most of the entries in the Northeast section of the point typology section were created by myself at the time we first started working on the info center. There was an area within each category where members could post things they felt would be good additions within whatever category they had in mind within the info center, but the actual threads within the categories were locked as far as adding comments to the threads by members. In some cases, the threads created were distillations of existing threads in the open forum, if it was felt such threads could be incorporated into the information center. But you are right in that they are all labeled as sub-forums. Just not located in the open forum sections of the site.

Take this one thread in the info center as an example:

http://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/i...-from-illinois

It isn't intended that the thread itself initiate an open discussion. It's information on a particular style of axe. Can someone post an example in the open forum, and suggest it be added to that thread as an excellent example, for instance? Yes, absolutely, but the thread itself is not part of the open forum per se. But a moderator could post additional relevant info if a member proposed such.

And, as noted, the categories you suggested had dead links are categories, there are more then just the two you mention, that simply have had no topics created for inclusion within those categories as yet. What with performance issues with the previous version of this forum, and the kinks to be ironed out in the present version, it may be some time before anyone is working on building the information center once more.

The bottom line is you can't add comments to the threads in the information center. In that respect, they are no longer threads, as you may note some were simply lifted from the open forum and included in the info center because it was felt they were highly informative on a particular subject of broad interest to collectors of Native American artifacts. They may be called sub-forums, but they are not part of the open forum.
            Last edited by CMD; 08-17-2015, 10:15 AM.
            Rhode Island

Comment

Originally posted by CMD View Post
              Greg, only link I see in either category is chase's intro to the category. I could click and open both. I don't see any non-existent links otherwise?
              I can't open either one. They really don't show up as links either.
              And good explanation Charlie
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Okay to explain it, The Peopling of Americas, Somehow they showed up one day and we have found that they populated the two continents. Then the people from Europe came and took over.
                Thats My story!
                Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Originally posted by gregszybala View Post

I can't open either one. They really don't show up as links either.
                  And good explanation Charlie

Yes... good information... and I have one important thing to add.

Before the new forum went live, I set the permissions to the entire "Information Center" to "read only" for all members (apart from Adins & Mods) as a protective measure. The only exception to that was the section for reporting broken links (and I think the video section if my memory serves correct). I did point that out to the Admin/Mods team at the time but there has been so much going on that it may have slipped their memories.

I did that because the permissions for who can (should) be able to do what are complex and member-specific for that entire section and were going to need setting up from scratch. It would be easier to do that after we went live and we knew the developers had stopped tinkering around in the forum settings. It's still set to "read only" for ordinary members so they won't be able to post. Unfortunately, the permissions structure for the entire forum has gone pear-shaped and I think it will probably be impossible to set the Information Center permissions how we really want them until that wider issue is resolved.
                  Last edited by painshill; 08-19-2015, 05:52 AM.
                  I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
                  X