Little help for a beginner please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little help for a beginner please

Hey guys, this is my first post on here and I'm not really sure where this should go but I'll try it here. I'm from central Alabama and recently while going through some boxes of my childhood toys I came across a box of 100 or so arrowheads (the best are in my avatar) I was given by my grandmother many years ago. I never knew where they came from so I started asking her questions and found out they came from some property we still own, so it really peaked my interest. She also told me there was about a 3 foot high mound with flint shards all over it and her dad always thought there was an encampment located there at one time because many of the arrowheads appear to be unfinished and there is a good flowing spring on the property that eventually leads to a creek that flows into large river less than 2 miles away. After saying all that, my question is where would you recommend starting to look for arrowheads? All the ones i have were found in what was once a field, but it now has planted pines all over it. Should i just walk the spring and the creek it leads into, start digging somewhere in the old field, or maybe off in the woods closer to the mound? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

i'd start by checking all the gravel spots along the brook and any washouts nearby.
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Posted by [Mainejman]:

Ill be right there.Dont start wthout me.Well sounds like you have a very nice location.Id do all of those things.They were obviously all over this place.With ..

Comment

Welcome from Central Illinois. As was said, check any gravel or sandbars in the creek below the site. Erosion is your friend so also check creek banks or any place that has eroded out.
        Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Thanks for the help, i'm going to try and get out there in the next week or so and i'll post pictures if i find anything.

Comment

Good luck on  your search.  Be persistent,  and eventually you will find the best spots there to look.
            You know they are there,  you just have to find them.    Gary
            South Dakota

Comment

Working...
            X