Tucson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tucson?

Headed there shortly to spend the holidays with our 3 sons. Hope to do a bit of hiking and head hunting, any suggestions on where to hunt? Not asking for specifics, just point me in the right general direction!
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Don't know specifics, but envy you the trip, Greg. Beautiful out there. Bet it will be a bit warmer then Indiana too!
    Rhode Island

Comment

gregszybala wrote:

Headed there shortly to spend the holidays with our 3 sons. Hope to do a bit of hiking and head hunting, any suggestions on where to hunt? Not asking for specifics, just point me in the right general direction!
      Well Greg I am envious that you will be in the southwest desert for Christmas. I have spent a little time in Tucson area, so I can give you a general direction to look. When I was down there, I looked on the ground. :rolf:  :rolf:
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Hey Greg,
        I like to head east on East Speedway Blvd. (runs east -and- west through the middle of Tucson - it does becomes rural), and park there at the end on the right. Now you're at a mountain range that runs North -and- South for the length of the city and beyond. If you start hiking towards the south (from your parked car) there's horse trails that switchback around the hills - walk about twenty yards off the horse trails to observe lithic scatter and sherds all around - technically you can't take anything (Saguaro National Pk. East), but it's a great place to hike and get in touch with the land. There's plenty of monuments/places around Tucson to see if you want to spend your time driving instead of hiking, but this will be right at your door.
        Tucson, Arizona is home to the nation's largest cacti. The giant saguaro is the universal symbol of the American west. These majestic plants, found only in a small portion of the United States, are protected by Saguaro National Park, to the east and west of the modern city of Tucson. Here you have a chance to see these enormous cacti, silhouetted by the beauty of a magnificent desert sunset.

A few things you may want to keep in the back of your mind: mountain lions (usually prowl at dusk, as does the rattlers), Javelina pigs (they're practically blind, but can be tough if they perceive you as a threat) , you'll normally smell 'em before you see 'em, and every damned plant -and- bug out there (they all want to kill you)! When you stop for a break, or to look around, make sure you're not standing in ANTS - they're common, and the bites are like bee stings (trust me). Take plenty of water and food, tweezers and alcohol (LOTSA thorns), and good flashlights. You guys will absolutely love it out there!
        If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Thanks Olden, I know the road! Will definitely be headed out to that area to look around! Oldest son just moved back there so am kind of familiar from an earlier trip. We walked a couple of creeks on the south side of Mt. Lemon and the foothills of Cochise's Stronghold with no luck, will be cool to find, and take a few photos to share here.

Comment

I'll check my external hard drive for a few pics also.
            I was speaking with my uncle there today: said the temps have been in the 80 degree range.
            He doesn't collect points per say, but does have about twenty rusty picks he's collected in the desert while walking his dogs.

Comment

Watch yourself around Cochise's stronghold. He's still there.
              Rhode Island

Comment

Charlie, being an artifact hunter/gatherer, I hope I'm in good standings with guys like Cochise!
                Olden, twenty picks? that is kinda cool in itself. There is a lot of interesting history that is visible out west.

Comment

Hey Greg, Here's a few pics - I think we're above Speedway Blvd. in this one: the green marks where the road and Park boundary begins. The haze is from the summer monsoon -and- humidity. Uncle's pulling thorns.

Some of the stuff that's around.

more of the stuff that's around.. wasn't Cochise a shape-shifter?

Comment

I would like to take a trip to the South West.
                    Does anyone know where I can buy steel waders?
                    Michigan Yooper
                    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

I believe Cabela's carries 'em in the anchor dept Ron.

Comment

First hike out and the one and only head we found the whole trip!

Did a lot of hiking though, got to the end of Speedway, Olden, went with a group and turned into a power walk, I'm guessing right around the area you told me to look. Should have ditched them and looked on my own! Didn't see any pottery or anything worked, but a lot of nice light grey chert laying around. Cool area!
                        Did much walking in Saguaro West N.P. Came across a few of these:

Comment

Great pictures Greg thanks for sharing
                          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thanks for showing us those cool pictures.  Sorry you didn't find any points.  Gary
                            South Dakota

Comment

I wish I could have gone with you man those petroglyphs are very cool
                              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                              X