Looking to Hunt in Northern California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to Hunt in Northern California

I grew up in Georgia and we had friends that owned a farm in North Carolina.
    I remember spending hours walking the freshly tilled soil, looking for and finding arrowheads.
    My 7 year old son's eyes went wide when I told him these stories, and now he wants to hunt arrowheads.
    Except that I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and have no idea where to go. Lots of farms around here but I haven't the foggiest idea of where to start.
    If anyone has any tips, please help me make my son's birthday wish come true.

Welcome Andrew!
    Going to be a tough birthday wish to fill! Best advice I can give you is find some private property that you can get permission to walk with water close by and or streams or creeks with exposed gravel bars. There are a few folks here from Cal., maybe they will drop by here and give you some help.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Welcome to the forum from Central Illinois. I think Greg covered it in just about any area you might be. I would like to echo his thought on private land. California and adjacent states have some of the toughest restrictions so be aware.
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

If you hunt the coast watch for those damned sneaky waves!

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Thanks guys.
          I'm determined to make my little man's wish come true.  Wish me luck!

Comment

Andrew, welcome to the forum.  I wish I knew of some good sites in CA for you to take your son.  Unfortunately, the only sites I know of are way down by Tulare Lake, near Kettleman City, and points are tough to find there in a dry year, as area is vast and heavily hunted.  High desert near dry lakes, river forks, and springs may be your best bet.  Good luck.
            In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. -John Muir

Comment

The big part of this hobby is finding a place to hunt . Dillon's Beach around the dune's maybe it's been hunted for years . I think the desert is your best bet hot springs dry lake beds just look for the old lake rings and start walking anywhere water use to be . Its not that hard to find a site but obtaining permission to hunt private property is hard to obtain and sometimes takes years . Good Luck

Comment

Welcome! I'm rather new here myself but I have been enjoying the site immensely!
                I have a 4 year old that accompanies me quite often. Still developing her eye, lol.
                Looking forward to seeing pics of you and your son's finds.

Comment

A good way to teach them that young is to hand them a bag and say fill it with rocks. If you know what color lithic is present in abundance tel them go get all the white ones for quartz. Show them a broken piece of flint let them hold it and keep it. Say pick up anything that color. Keep it in your bag. After an hour go through their bag. You will be surprised how fast they pick it up. Another good thing is bring the child with you whne asking for permission. Most farmers are family men and women and love seeing kids. Tell them it is for a hobby and your not looking for treasure or for something to sell. Just say you are looking to bud=ild lasting memories with your child. It takes time to get a knack for finding places to look. Here is a tip. Almost every town has an arrowhead rd or drive. Check google earth maps. Look for Indian place names and such for road names. then see if there is farmland near by with water sources. It could cut down  the size of the haystack the needle is in there..
                  You can also try joining the local historical society. Ask question let them know what your interested in. A lot of the old timers that love local history love to talk. Just pay attention when they do. You will be surprised at how much you can learn this way. No Historical Society. Tyr the Library and ask if there is a local historian that would be easy to reach.
                  I wish you all the luck.
                  Welcome to AH.com :welcome:
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                  X