New from North Georgia and question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New from North Georgia and question

Hello from North Georgia! I am relatively new to the arrowhead collecting community and have been bitten by the bug badly! My question would be is that I have gotten permission from a local farmer to go hunt his fields, however he thinks they have been pretty well picked over. Is is still worth my time to go look and should I wait until he plows and then let it rain? I am ready to go now! Thank you for your responses!

Ashley, Welcome to AH.com :welcome:
    If I have the time, I would hunt them before, it never hurts to see whats on the surface first. My thoughts are you will already have a certain amount of wash and should also give you an idea where the best concentration of lithics are. If its on the surface now it may not be after plowing and then waiting for rain to wash them out. As far as being picked over, my thoughts are nobody can find them all and it may be not as many to be found they are still out there waiting for someone to pick them up.
    The only investment you have is your time and exercise.
    The more you walk the more you increase your chances for finding them. I have sites that I have walked day in and day out and every time I go out I find something. I always say I zigged when I should have zagged. The sun was not right place when I walked there the first time. If you have ever spent time looking you will see where other peoples foot prints were just feet/inches away from an artifact.
    I hope that helps and good luck! I look forward to seeing all you new finds!
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Welcome to the forum from Central Illinois. Some of the places I hunt have been hunted for a long time and there is always a chance you could find something. I would look at it now and search for lithic scatter..in other words flakes that would indicate a village site. After it is plowed then concentrate on those areas. Good luck and keep us informed.
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Welcome Ashley, great advice from the two above and they nave been at it awhile!
        Good Luck!
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Good advice guys In my opinion it would be kind of hard to remove everything from a site using just surface hunting techniques especially if it was a prolific site. Meaning a site that could be multi component. I have hunted sites that had from Paleo on up to Levana points up in CT and every year they produced. I never went home empty handed. Sometimes maybe only a scraper or hammer stone but always found something. Just keep at it and keep you eye on the ground. Walk slow and be methodical. I like over cast days as opposed to Sun Bright days. You will find you can see better. Flint will also glisten when wet That makes it easier. When it is dry it will blend in. That makes it harder but not impossible.
          Good luck in the hunt
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thank you all so much for your advice. I have been on this website for quite some time over the last year or two reading all of your posts and I am blown away at all of your knowledge. I have learned so much just from them! Of course all of your finds just fuel the fire!
            Thanks again!

Comment

You should hunt the fields.If it was a sizable site it will continue to produce.I've been hunting the same fields for well over 15 years,year after year it amazes me at the stuff that continues to come from the fields.If anything it seems to get better because of the continual turning of the dirt and erosion.i would go now that way if you do start finding flakes or a few points you will know where to start after it has been plowed.

Comment

Working...
              X