Creek and River Hunting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creek and River Hunting.

Are gravel bars worth raking around in if you don't see any points or lithic shards on the surface?

In my opinion its only worth it if you know theres a solid campsite somewhere really close. I have a spot where the hillside is washing off into the creek -and- up at the top of that hill is a shelter. When the creek is running we take a garden rake and rake the gravel in the water -and- just let it naturally clean off. We find quite a few this way.

Comment

yes!!! you never know whats hidden in there! i find lots of old bottles and clay pipes that way too.sometimes i take a rake to the beach and comb the the high tide lines too.in the summer times i get right in the middle of my river and stand facing the current and i dig in front of me and spill to the side and let the current sift for me.actually, thats how i found my first (and possibly oldest!) point.
      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Points will mix in with the cobble but it has to be the right sized cobble.Not to big or not to small,medium sized is just right.Pictured is a point sittin in the right sized gravel. 

Comment

:laugh:  hey bolen bevel i like yer "gloves"! one of the ole' timers i work with tapes up his finger tips too so the shingles dont sandpaper his tips off.
          call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

OnewiththewilD wrote:

:laugh:  hey bolen bevel i like yer "gloves"! one of the ole' timers i work with tapes up his finger tips too so the shingles dont sandpaper his tips off.
            Redneck ingenuity my friend......I learned it from my creek huntin buddy who learned it from a old timer.When scratchin the creeks it's imperative that you protect your tips.Electrical tape is the best thing we have ever found.I've tried all sorts of gloves but the finger tips on gloves wear out after about a hour.You have to be careful not to wrap it to tight,we took a bud and told him don't wrap your tips to tight.I looked over at his fingers after about 30 minutes of scratchin and his digits done turned blue  :rolf:

Comment

That's some serious scratchin Bro....  I think of it this way JAKE!!!!  when water washes away the sides of a creek, they wash out what was hidden there.  Now I know you already know that.  Its a luck thing that we do.  And like HEADHUNTER said, knowledge of previous inhabitants whether it be a camp or site is very helpful piece of info.  But stuff washes down stream as well.  I got about 5 creeks, and I love hiking them VS trails.  Good Luck   :evil:

Comment

In some of the very best hunting spots there are fewer chips and tools, just lost whole points in hunting areas away from habitation. :silly: 
                Professor Shellman
                Tampa Bay

Comment

tomclark wrote:

In some of the very best hunting spots there are fewer chips and tools, just lost whole points in hunting areas away from habitation. :silly: 
                    Excellent observation Tom.

Comment

Working...
                  X