No announcement yet.

Anyone from north iowa? Need some tip!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone from north iowa? Need some tip!

Ok people, I desperately need some help. I just got to this little town called charles city iowa, and I need some tips on were to look for arrowheads. Any locals on here? Thanks guys

:welcome: I think Iowa is just like anywhere else. To find artifacts, start by locating high ground next to water. You should find them there! Good luck.

Comment

Posted by [Mainejman]:

I'm from Maine but I echo pine trees comments.Waterways are the answer 99% of the time especially in Iowa with the mighty Mississippi.You got maps or Google earth use them.There is so much info on line these days that it should be an easy task.Don't know iowas laws but as always get permission.....mjm

Comment

Welcome to AH.com BJ :welcome:
        The only time that water was not a good area to look at, was a sewer plant. It just plain stunk. :whistle:  :rolf:  hmy:
        Yeah the others gave you good advice. where creeks meet, springs, rivers. and high ground. Permission by landowners to walk and look. We do have a few members from Iowa, but I am sure they would tell you the same information.
        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Thanks guys I really appreciate it. I'm staying right here on cedar river. 1 mile from were the Winnebago Indians had a village in 1850s. 150 wigwams were recorded, but now it is turned into a park.

Comment

Good advice above. Took a look at google earth. Lots of river and creeks in the vicinity, lots of farm land too!Just have got to get familiar with the new area, maybe check out some local resources like the library, museums, archaeological societies etc. and get to know some of the local farmers, you'll be into artifacts soon.
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Working...
            X