Help please. I'm a noob.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please. I'm a noob.

I'm sort of a rookie when it comes to all this. Just sort of learning how to find artifacts and stuff from YouTube videos and websites. I found a new site and I'm not really sure how to hunt it. In about an hours time I found this stuff. All withing about a 25 yard square. It was in a horse pasture. It isn't plowed or anything. Found all this laying on or between the grass. Any suggestions on how to hunt the site would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2014-04-05 [replaced].jpg
Views:	66
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	205002

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2014-04-05-2 [replaced].jpg
Views:	65
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	205003

Bottom plow it! There's a site there but it will be hard to see anything in pasture.

Comment

Do you know the history of the land? Was it farmed at some time? Maybe it is worth digging a few test pits and screen and see if you hit paydirt.

Comment

It's never been plowed or farmed. There's a creek about 100 yards away and a spring maybe 500 yards away. Same situation around the spring. Found tons of flakes and one pretty nice point. Couple broken points. Hard to see in the grass though. The point I found there is serrated. It was on top of the grass. Guessing a horse kicked it up.

Comment

This is the tree I picked everything up from around today and the point I'd previously found over by the spring across the road.

Comment

I fixed your picture for you.

TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Welcome Andy,
              I see potential there.
              Check and see about local laws and how they perceive people digging.
              That is the best way to assess your situation there in AL.
              Have fun learning.

Jess B.
              It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
              It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
              Circa:1982

Comment

Posted by [Mainejman]:

Welcome from Maine and bingo we got a winner....Nice finds with a lot of potential for more.Make sure you hit it after it rains.I might even try raking it if that much stuff is at the top....Those are pretty great first finds for anybody.......enjoy....oh yes protect your hunting rights if this isn't your property buy somebody some donuts.......mjm :cheer:

Comment

Posted by [Mainejman]:

Also I see a pond I don't know if they got any dirt piles left over but wherever that dirt went might be another spot if the pond was dug.....mjm

Comment

Welcome to AH.com :welcome:
                    Looks like a great site to explore. with that much debitage and artifacts there is more under the ground. But check the laws of your state for weather you can dig, if your curious as to what is underneath what you can see.
                    Good luck!
                    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

I know I can dig. I'm not really sure how to go about it though. I don't want to damage things by doing it wrong.

Comment

I talked to a archeologist at Mammoth Cave National park in KY.  They were doing test digs.  He said they di 18inx18in 1, to 2ft deep.  usually 3 of them.  When I hunt fields and I find flake I test dig that same spot and have pulled good stuff from underneath.  I use a SOG spearhead from Walmart $30

Comment

At least hunt that place often as possible and especially after storms.  If you can dig, test pit the areas where you find the most chips on the surface.  Dig to the hardpan if possible.  Fill holes perfectly. Also dig testpits in all the other areas, LOL.  You could have a larger camp and you are just seeing the chipping area, which is often at least a little away from the village/camp, IMHOP.
                          I'd dig 3X3 by  however deep test pits and if you are hitting material keep going in that direction.  That looks like a great spot and you are on it with those kinds of finds.
                          Professor Shellman
                          Tampa Bay

Comment

Thanks guys! I'll definitely work on some test holes ASAP.

Comment

Also possible that the area has been looked hard over the years and someone would throw the flakes and chips around the tree. That's what I use to do on some of the spots I have looked and would see where others had to.

Comment

Working...
                              X