Desoto county, ms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desoto county, ms

Hi, i live in Desoto county, MS. Its in the northwest corner if the state.
    I've never been able to find any kind of artifact. Ive searched plowed fields, creeks, etc without any luck.
    I know there weere native american settlements in the area.
    Just not sure what im doing wrong...

Welcome to Ah.com Chris :welcome:
    Lets start with the obvious, you are looking at the ground? :crazy:  :rolf:  :rolf:
    Ok that was not right, sorry for that. Lets start out with what you are doing right, your not picking up any old rock, in the hopes that it is an artifact. That goes a long way in finding artifacts. Hunting artifacts is not easy no matter how long you have been hunting. Take my day of hunting for artifacts. I walked a field and found nothing, that was a mile long field add in the zig zags and the walk back and that was around a three mile walk. I got into my jeep and drove to another spot, and walked another three miles and found nothing. I went bacl to another field that I have hit hard this past week, and walked another three miles and found a couple of broken pieces. There have been many days I go out and walk and find nothing. Really your doing nothing wrong. It takes persistence. Ask around too see if you can get information where the sites are at. Walking fields and creeks are good, but if there is not a campsite, odds are your not going to find anything. Areas that would interest me when looking for campsites, would be where two creeks meet, where a creek feeds into a river, Fields that have a high area and is close to water, such as a river creek or spring. Those areas will increase your odds on finding artifacts. Any questions you might have just ask, the members will help with general answers.
    I will be waiting to see that first find of yours.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

welcome to arrowheads.com :welcome:
      What Chase said! when searching plowed fields are you going after it rains? Are you finding footprints? If yes someone beat you to it. In that case point your toes at thier toes and walk the other direction they did and walk slow and steady row on row If no foot prints and no flint at all you are in the wrong field. Find one near water. Indians camped near resources. The primary survival resource is water. In hot weather a person can dehydrate and die of thirst in two days. Water first then food then Shelter. Manythings come to mind about shelter. including being above the highwater mark. floods hapen now and the happened then.
      Some fields in the river bottoms have been flooded over and silt an be a few feet thick. That is not good so move on! find chips and slow way down and search well. Don't loose hope keep looking they are out there and lots of them too.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
      X