Locating an indian camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locating an indian camp

I have some ranch country in Kimble Co. Tx. and have been hunting artifacts for several yrs on the place.
    Have had mixed results, mostly surface hunting.
    About a year ago, I found a place close to a dry creek bed that has produced several good points and broken ones, also some nice scrapers.  The area is covered with flint flakes and I am pretty sure that there was a camp there long ago, but I cannot find any hard evidence of such. No burnt rock middens, nothing that would normally be associated with a camp ( other than a lot of flakes ). The whole pasture was chained several years ago to get rid of the cedar, and am wondering if that destroyed all traces of the camp?
    After a good rain, I can usually find a few points so the area is still giving up its secrets.
    Anyone out there have any ideas as to what I might look for? 
    Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Jrees, it sure sounds like a camp to me. I have several sites that do not show fired rock.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

sounds like you already found it! :laugh:  just keep going back an'look around!
      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

oh ya, and good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Another question, how do you know you have found a camp?
          Most  of my years of artifact hunting have been surface hunting, so I am kinda new at locating an old camp.
          What tells you that a camp was located in a certain area?

Comment

material flakes and maybe charred rocks.

Comment

jrees wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Another question, how do you know you have found a camp?
              Most  of my years of artifact hunting have been surface hunting, so I am kinda new at locating an old camp.
              What tells you that a camp was located in a certain area?
              I guess IMO they are all campsites to a point. Chips/flakes are a factor, but its to what extent it was used. A kill site most likely was a campsite, if for only for a day. You may only find a small amount of lithic scatter at such a site. You have seasonal campsites in some regions. But if I am looking for a campsite,what I want to see is a multitude of different lithics, heat treated is an added plus(that's where you will find the fire rock. Small finish flakes(about the size of a finger nail or smaller). The tool assemblage such as scrapers, bi-faces, and lager flakes. Then when I get into the points, having many different types, and ages, will tell me that it was multi-occupational. Location near water, and on high ground.

Comment

Thanks, Chase. From what you have said, I strongly believe that the area was a camp.
                The dry creek bed probably was spring fed thousands of yrs ago. I am not finding any fired rock, but all other evidence suggests a camp.
                The cedar has grown up so much, that it has taken over and hidden the camp.
                I will continue to hunt the sits, and hopefully it will continue to reward me with artifacts!!

Comment

one idea is ploting your finds on a map... if you do this you can view the more concentratred areas on the map and find out almost exactly where you need to spend your time! Its a little extra work but is probably worthe the effort!
                  take care!
                  Beau

Comment

acepro wrote:

one idea is ploting your finds on a map... if you do this you can view the more concentratred areas on the map and find out almost exactly where you need to spend your time! Its a little extra work but is probably worthe the effort!
                    take care!
                    Beau
                    Acepro, sometimes this can hinder you. I practice what I call fringe hunting. When I am hunting a campsite, I do the obvious and walk the area where I have found the most concentration of points and lithic's. My theory is that I will find points but they are the broken leftover rejects from past collectors. and if I hit the outer edges of the campsite, I may not find much but what I do find is better finds. When I hunt a campsite I try not to leave any stone unturned.   and cover every inch and then some. I just look at modern man and how things get strewn around. JMO

Comment

ah makes sence chase! would ploting them on a map still help to find the exact location of the camp tho?

Comment

acepro wrote:

ah makes sence chase! would ploting them on a map still help to find the exact location of the camp tho?
                        Not sure of exact location for the campsite but.......... when it comes to a site "CONTEXT" is everything. thou a surface find if recorded with GPS can add value to an excavation or understanding to relevance in a site. the artifact in itself is useless.But the positioning in a site lends to a overall map of site occupation. Before the introduction of GPS I would pile rocks on a significant find. Course I am an anal retentive individual.   As far as to identify a location the lithic scatter will give you a good indication of an area of the most use. I test those boundaries to try and get a clear picture of the extent of the site.

Comment

Working...
                        X