How do you...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you...

How do you carry your points or findings when your in the field? Just put them in your pocket or do you have a little box or something with like bubble wrapping in it or something so they dont brake haha just wondering? :silly:

I always carry a couple sizes of containers.  My favorite is a metal snuff can that I fill with leather and cloth strips.  If I find something I wrap it in the material, secure it in the container then throw it in my pocket.  I find a lot of birdies too, so those go in my wallet in a clear pocket that has my id.

Comment

I try to carry something to put them in.  If you use a pocket and find something nice make sure that's the only thing in that pocket. They can easily get damaged rubbing against other pieces while you're walking around. Oh, and make sure you don't have a hole in your pocket. That's always a bummer.   :blush:

Comment

I do bring little baggies and sometimes use them.  Usually I put best item alone in a back pocket, next best in other back pocket, then front pockets and finally shirt pockets with button.  There have been some finds that wouldn't even make it into my pocket and kept it in hand.  Some of my best non-lithic small finds like beads sometimes go in my mouth after cleaning them off, LOL.  When I return to my bucket/pack, then I do wrap in paper towels and baggies....sometimes.
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

I normally have a light back pack, paper towels and rubber bands with me. I wrap the item about 5 times around with paper towel then a rubber band then stick in back pack. Have not found something in a long time but ready if I do.
          Jack

Comment

Fanny pack, newspaper and rubberbands. Dont use up much newspaper, think its from 2007!

Comment

Always have shoulder bag with pockets. Use two sizes of small plastic baggies with piece of paper towel to wrap point in. Have never broke one yet after a find. If find something to big for bag walk back to truck soon!! Joe.

Comment

Empty pill bottles and paper towels.

Comment

O wow,you guys would really be upset If I tell you,when I found that Dovetail last week,I just slid it in my pocket with my keys and change huh?

Comment

LOL, Helsel, yep we would, hahahahaha.  We'd also be upset if'n you walked around with a cigar box full of points and just put 'em in there with the others!
                    Hey it WAS common Back in the Day!?!?!?!!! :woohoo:
                    KS I definitely do what you do when I can.
                    Professor Shellman
                    Tampa Bay

Comment

I have a multi-department lunch bag that straps to my walking stick. If I fill all the compartments I then turn to paper towels to seperate or plastic sleeves, which I used to store my baseball cards in they come in handy for artifacts unless immensly long. (Over 3-1/2 inches) I would just love to find something to put in the compartments!! Been skunked all year.

Comment

DAVE!!! Say it aint true!!! :woohoo: If idda found that dove I woulda went right back to my vehicle................to change my shorts! :blush:

Comment

Hey ya'll - Just back from florida where I got some sand in my shoes.  Had to laugh at this question tho cause I ain't never found mor'n one at at time.  I always go prepared but never seems to work in my favor  :laugh:  ---Chuck
                          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Find anything down there Chuck? Would love to walk some of the creeks down there to find some sharks teeth.

Comment

Working...
                            X