Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Campsites

Hey everyone,
    I am new to the forum. For those who haven't read my newbie Steven King-sized thread in the "What Did I Find?" Forum, I am indeed a newbie and am highly enjoying learning from all of you. I look forward to the day that I can begin posting helpful opinions on here, as well. Until then, I need to find something first!
    My question to you all is, would you have photos (or simply write back to the thread) of what it would look like when approaching a possible campsite? For example, what do the flakes look like? Are there usually large stones surrounding it where they maybe sat? What have you learned when identifying a campsite? And where do you look when you find one? Isn't it all grass, usually? I am assuming that is when you begin searching the creek?
    I have used your advice and searched Google Earth on a creek by me. I have found several areas of feeder creeks with a "bench" of land above it, along with even a third hill and "bench" above that one. Am I correct for making an assumption that this could be a campsite? What is my next step?
    While I am here, I wanted to ask this again (I hope you don't mind). I had already asked this but it was the only question that I still had more to ask about: The creek I am hunting was used more as a way of passage for the Native Americans. Who knows if they ever used it as a settlement area, but I can tell you that the creek is large and dumps in to a main body of water (major River). My question: Does it matter how close I am to the main river? Or can I search my creek from almost 10 miles away? Anybody ever find anything that far away from the main River that your creeks dump in to?
    Reason being, the creek is right outside of my house (see pictures attached to this thread). The closer I get to the River, the more "shady" the area gets, and I don't feel comfortable walking around in that area. There are no visible feeder creeks before my area, so this creek runs straight to the River.
    Where the creek dumps in to, the area (or very close to it) is shown in the third picture attached to this thread. Does any of this look appealing to you from what I have told you and from what you have seen in the photos? I have yet to find any flakes anywhere, yet...
    Lastly, THANK YOU. You have all been making me eager to get back out there every single day to find something. The day I do, it will be because of all of your help.
    -Brett

Brett, First when you post pic's please use the "Insert" tab to add them into your post.
    Here is what I have found in my travels around the states (which is still a work in progress) It really depends on the area your are hunting. When hunting the western states Water is important but could come from a spring so water ways are not as important. some camps are winter/spring campsites and water was prevalent from the snow on the ground, so sites were more  located to geographical features. when Hunting the eastern states, the water ways were super highways and travel and trade were based around them. feeder creeks are a source of drinkable water. so when looking there I will always look in spots that water ways converge. The one thing I can say with certainty is that every area that I have gone to hunt has its own set of conditions to account for. Region will help on how I would hunt it. but water is first thing to look around.
    Flakes is a good sign of a campsite.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Brett, I hunt four sites (fields) that are located along feeder creeks, anywhere from a half mile to three miles from the main river. Another site is a sandy hill (+- 20 acres that was surrounded by swamp. The more research, looking around, getting into more sites i do, the more amazed I am by how many sites there are. I think there are many, many sites out there, we just can't hunt them or find them because of conditions or aren't allowed because of permission to search. Campsites or habitation areas aren't always readily identifiable and aren't always in a small area. In an 80 acre field, I hunt 3 different areas, one area is at the opposite end of the field and I find artifacts in the next field over, so you've just got to get out there and look and get familiar with what to look for. Once you get tuned in you may not always find artifacts but you will start to see the flakes etc.
      By the way, the pics, they definitely have potential.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Thanks so much to the both of you.  I am having a hard time finding the "Insert" button for photos. 
        So do you search the grounds on the tier above the creek?  Or in the creek below it?  I am going out on a daily basis for at least two hours, but I never even find any flakes.  I must be too far away from the main river?  I will try and find those feeder creeks as close to the main river as possible.
        By the way, I found a stone that looked extremely burnt up, but I am so bad with identifying anything, it could be anything.  I attached the photo of it.  Could this be from a campsite a long time ago?  Is that something that could be found at campsites?  Thanks!

Comment

That could be slag, could be fire cracked rock Search both areas
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Indians made long term camp sites near water. Usually on flat ground above the flood zone in and area that would give them a commanding view of an area, or an area that would be hard to sneak up on from two or three sides with wide areas to run through should they be attacked.
            hunting camps would be made at the end of an area where they could build shutes to drive game. Think narrow hollows with steep sides.  Think at the bottom of cliffs. they would run animals up hill if possible to tire them. so if you see a likely shute, the uphill end would be the place to look if it is more narrow thean the downhill end, which is usually the case.
            Springs that flow up out of the ground year around on a flat hilltop is prime realistate for long term camps. So is the area between the forks of a creek or river. So are vallies with steep hills on both sides or the very edge of steep slopes with water nearby.
            When you are looking for a site think strategically. Where would I make a defendable camp if there were enemy clans nearby. Look at the trees, what type are they? In the eastern U.S. Oak and chestnut trees were the main food trees for most game. American chestnut trees have been long extinct, but you can figure out where they would have grown by what grows there today. Hickory, elm, sycimore, poplar, these trees grow well where chestnut trees once grew. You can also get an idea by what plants are growing nearby. If you see stands of traditional wild food plants growing nearby, and the trees look right, and the plants look right, there is most likely a site somewhere near by. wlanut and hickory trees provide easy to store food sources. Keep all of that in midn.

Comment

Thank you very much to all of you.  You're advice is leading me every day to feeling more confident in my hunting.  Even if I find nothing, I feel much better about applying your advice since it makes it feel more possible.

Comment

Working...
              X