Any advice on fall & winter hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any advice on fall & winter hunting

I obviously won't be wading the creeks in the woods with the temperature declining and deer hunting season on the way. Plus the leaves on the ground will be awful. Since this will be my first fall/winter experience do you all have any words of wisdom for a rookie or should I just wait until spring? Not sure if that's possible
    Montani Semper Liberi

I don't know about words of wisdom but personally I prefer the fall ,winter or spring season's to do my hunting.  First off you don't have to worry as much about snakes and mosquitoes and such. Second, a lot of times I find that the creeks and streams sometimes dry up in the fall exposing more searchable gravel beds. And as far as deer hunters? Well I am one and I believe that walkers, riders and other outdoor enthusiasts have just as much rights to the wood and streams as I do, just keep track of what seasons in , comply with local regulations and laws as far as things like wearing blaze orange  etc.As far as the cold? Just bundle up and buy a good pair of waders to keep the water out. I often spend the mid day slack times during deer season hunting artifacts. Just use good judgment and everything should be just fine there.
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Try and find some fields that have been harvested,  also gravel bars as was mentioned.
      South Dakota

Comment

lukecreekwalker wrote:

I obviously won't be wading the creeks in the woods with the temperature declining and deer hunting season on the way.  Plus the leaves on the ground will be awful.  Since this will be my first fall/winter experience do you all have any words of wisdom for a rookie or should I just wait until spring?  Not sure if that's possible
          To some degree (no pun), Fall/Winter is my favorite time to hunt artifacts... I don't have to walk in the muddy boot tracks of the guy that otherwise normally beats me to the site, cos he's drinking hot chocolate somewhere watching a movie...
        The leaves can be an issue, especially for folks like me who play by the rules of Oklahoma state law. I can't dig (save the time I had the good fortune to help exhume what we could of a mammoth at Lake Eufaula, after the Universities had yawned and passed on it...)... At any rate, I like to stick to eroding dirt walls -- working from a canoe or kayak... Leaves aren't much of an issue with that approach...
        Hunting seasons have been a concern of mine... Especially when I'm in or around public hunting areas... Call me paranoid, but I've worn orange many times... The only time I've ever regretted wearing the orange was when I happened upon a very large marijuana growing operation on public land... I looked pretty silly, I am sure, running away from that area like an orange Usain Bolt... But that's a story I'll bore you folks with another day...
        As far as water temps... yeah that can be a bummer/hindrance (winter water levels too)... I once took an unexpected winter swim while reaching for a blade poking out of a high dirt wall... My wife looked fairly puzzled, as I came sloshing through the front entryway... But I'll be darned if I didn't have a broken, crude blade to show for it... I can swim with one hand... kinda...
        I think the bottom line is: how bad do you want it...?.. Some collectors are a little saner than others... I'm not one of those...  :crazy:

Comment

Kyflintguy pretty much has it covered. If there is exposed ground and not much in the way of a northerly wind, I walk all winter long. As soon as the crops are off the fields or if I'm even luckier, they are turned, I'll work a field or fields every chance I can get.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Haha I like your style Oklahomuh.  I would be in the creek right with you.  My wife already looks at me crazy for wanting to spend hours in a backwoods WV creek full of copperheads and who knows what else.  That would have been incredible to excavate a mammoth.  Thanks for the comment
            Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Yea I haven't hunted a field yet.  I will try my luck.  Thanks Greg
              Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

I will definitely invest in waders and blaze orange and retire the nikes and basketball shorts for the year lol.  I was honestly about to call it a season so thanks for the advice.
                Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

lukecreekwalker wrote:

I will definitely invest in waders and blaze orange and retire the nikes and basketball shorts for the year lol.  I was honestly about to call it a season so thanks for the advice.
                    Even though I've never used them for the purpose of artifact hunting, I think the waders these seasoned pros are suggesting are a fine idea... I need to invest in a new pair myself...
                  I like to trout fish... The White River in Arkansas is (IMO) the best trout fishing locale (not to mention its archaeological significance) within reasonable driving distance from me... However, the water in that crystal clear river is SO cold, you can barely stand to poke your foot in it even on a hot day... There are verified accounts of individuals who have very nearly drowned in that river, if not for the 'Mammalian diving reflex'...
                  I'm way off topic now, but my point is that if trout fisherman can waddle around in those cumbersome waders, why not an artifact hunter...?
                  Here's a broken "White River" point I snatched up on my last trip there... while I was drying off after my brother swamped our canoe at Wildcat Shoals...
                  _

Comment

The fall -and- winter are my most productive times less to almost no moss -and- lower water levels are the ticket! Cold weather gear makes for nice days. I guess it's all on how bad you have the fever!

dont be frightend waders are your good friend :evil:

Comment

Rock queen wrote:

The fall -and- winter are my most productive times less to almost no moss -and- lower water levels are the ticket! Cold weather gear makes for nice days. I guess it's all on how bad you have the fever!
                      dont be frightend waders are your good friend :evil:
                        Woah... You win..!  I'm gonna stop telling my cold water stories now... hmy:

Comment

Oh yeah, Rock Queen wins!  "Honey, if ya need me I'll be on the ice flow canoe huntin points."
                        Rhode Island

Comment

I guess we are all cut from the same cloth haha.  I will definitely hunt this fall and winter.  Thanks.
                          Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Great subject. Glad you are going to stick with it . Back in CT where I came from we would only hang it up if the ground was solid. Just no fun chipping points out of a field of muddy ice. I have seen winters when the ice flows on the Long Island Sound would not allow for beach hunting either.
                            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thanks Hoss.  I am hoping that polar vortex stays away this year.  It was a brutal winter in WV.  At one point it got so bad that chemicals leached through cracked tanks into the river and contaminated our water for a week.  It was awful
                              Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Working...
                              X