No announcement yet.

Field hunting 101...The basics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Problem we have here in the east coast is vegetation. I know many campsites but when your 10 feet deep in briars leaves pine and laurel thickets filled with mosquitoes and gnats from said water source your not gonna find anything.
    Then nowdays nobody plows. We have planters and discs. Way less intrusive which means I have to rely on erosion to uncover finds which can take some time. Even if I want to sift or dig in a good creek or sandbar sveral thousand years of soft soil and leaf erosion has any artifacts buried.
    I'd love to hunt out west but in sure locating untouched sites is difficult.  Even on the most remote difficult sites I've discovered in my area I've came across old timers who were at it well before me. I just gotta get a little more dirty and hunch over a little more. You gotta be first on site when the water lowers creek levels or you miss out. There's many chomping at the bit to get at it you just gotta want it more and gotta brave rain and cold to get it.

Comment

I used Google Earth last weekend to find a new and promising site. Since I live in Arizona, most of our waterways have dried up or been drained over the years. I was looking for old waterways, and found a valley near the area that I've had luck in the past. I walked a ways, both up and down the valley walls, finding some pottery and tools the whole way. At the end of the canyon I came across a great site. Lots of pottery sherds, some good sized and all painted, manos, some tools, a broken point, etc. I didn't explore the whole area, so will be going back next week to continue my search. It's really fun to find a worthwhile site on your own!

Comment

I'm about two weeks away from winter water levels. They lower due to increased rainfall and dams have to prepare for flooding.
        Once it lowers I will post some pics of east cost material such as debitage for anyone interested. When you find knapped material your there. When you find knapped material and scrapers with skinning tools your on a homesite. The key is learning your native materials as any long term hunter here knows.

Comment

Working...
        X