Field hunting 101...The basics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field hunting 101...The basics.

A question all new hunters ask is where do you find "Arrowheads"? :dunno: The native Americans had a tough life..Think of necessity. 1- Food 2-Water 3-Comfort from the elements. A natural water source is #1 on my list because it provides drinking water, Mammals need to drink so it is a good hunting spot. Not to mention fish and fresh water mussels. #2 is soil type and elevation. High ground with sandy soil is best because of drainage from rain....Try pitching a tent in clay on low ground! inch: Other things to look for is river bends and feeder creeks...look for the high ground. 2nd tier high ground spots are great in colder climates because it is protection from the wind. This spot in the photo has it all...High ground, sandy loam soil for good rain drainage, 2nd tier for protection from the cold North wind and River is 75 yards away.

I spend 50-75% of my time looking for new spots to hunt....Look for these terrain features and don't be shy on asking permission! All they can do is say no...Keep looking!

When hunting a new field I walk in a "Grid" pattern covering the whole area a little more quickly than a spot I know there was a campsite. Slow down some on the highest elevation spots to look for "Clues" of habitation....Flint flakes are one thing you look for.

These are reduction waste from making stone tools. Another thing to look for is burnt rock or what my buddy calls it cracked rock....From fire pits at a camp site.
      Just like fire cracked rocks out of your bonfire pit! If you see either of these "Clues" SLOW DOWN! You are on a campsite. When looking in a spot some say look for shapes...Dont work for me. I look for "out of place" pieces of the color of my local lithic, the chert/flint used buy the Native Americans in my area. Learn what they used in your area...Google your local cherts.

Comment

Fire rock..cracked rock.

Attached files 

Comment

I have found new spots from just bringing up "Arrowheads" in conversation at garage sales! Ya cant be shy..The more ya bring up the subject you may find someone who will say" My neighbor finds them in his field">>>BINGO! Opportunity to get permission.  (Y)

Comment

Thank you for this
          Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Thanks Mark!
            I have had the opportunity to hunt around the states.
            I will start with hunting the cedars in the west.
            It is a dry climate and water is a non factor. That is to say they are winter and spring campsites when snow is the source. They are camps that have a southeastern exposure. On a ridge and off the valley floor. Here are a few pic's of signs, I look for when hunting. Both terrain and when on foot.

Attached files 
            Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Great post Turkeytail, wish i could have had this info like  24 years ago  :lol:  .. The fire rocks/ cracked rocks are by far one of the best signs that your on a work site. Im surprised how many collectors ive walked with over the years that didnt make this connection. Pieces of freshwater clam shells are also good evidence of a site to...
              My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!.... They didn\'t make us free we were born free, as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free!

Comment

Lots of good advice.    Here is a view from a campsite, showing where two creeks come together. 

South Dakota

Comment

SDhunter wrote:

Lots of good advice.    Here is a view from a campsite, showing where two creeks come together. 
                    Great looking spot!

Comment

so youve kind of answered a question i had
                    but now this brings up a couple of more questions
                    1. by looking at that pic, how do you know it was a campsite?
                    2. how much would the area have changed since it was used by the ancient peoples?
                        i.e. more trees less trees etc.
                    im curious about this as i want to start looking for spots of my own to hunt,so i dont have to rely on my 2 friends to go hunt thier spots with them

Comment

I followed this creek until I found the other join it,  and started looking around.  I found some pottery, scrapers and flint flakes.  No points yet.  I'm standing up on the level area of the site.  It is a nice flat level  area in this coulee.  I only suspected it was a good spot,  until  I started finding artifacts.  Then I knew.   The site is grassed over,  but the cow trails expose some artifacts,  and the rest are in the creek.   These are native oak trees, so I'm sure they were here and this place looks much like it always did.
                      Gary
                      The pic above is one showing more of the actual  campsite.
                      South Dakota

Comment

Not all "Textbook" looking spots where campsites but worth checking out. My buddy Larry and I hunted a new spot a mile dowm the road from my best site...Looked great! High ground, 2nd tier and right next to the river...As soon as we started looking we sunk in mud 5-6 inches deep.  :unsure:  Really no need to try again but worth a try...

Comment

It's all really good advice. Thanks for the time writing. I have a hard time finding new sites mainly due to property issues. Its either TVA, public, or large farms on our water sources. The lakes backfill the creeks some bit in the summer. When this drains it's really good hunting as the surfaces around the banks are vegetation free and eroded.
                          My best friend for finding sites is Google earth. I typically research know native American sites and villages on main rivers in my area. I then follow the creeks and waterways back up from these to find private areas to hunt using Google earth. I've found some amazing sites and mudflats this way. The main rivers were heavily lived on but lots of camps exist up even the smallest of creeks leading into these rivers.

Comment

Dirt e Deeds wrote:

It's all really good advice. Thanks for the time writing. I have a hard time finding new sites mainly due to property issues. Its either TVA, public, or large farms on our water sources. The lakes backfill the creeks some bit in the summer. When this drains it's really good hunting as the surfaces around the banks are vegetation free and eroded.
                            My best friend for finding sites is Google earth. I typically research know native American sites and villages on main rivers in my area. I then follow the creeks and waterways back up from these to find private areas to hunt using Google earth. I've found some amazing sites and mudflats this way. The main rivers were heavily lived on but lots of camps exist up even the smallest of creeks leading into these rivers.
                              Tough to get permission here too at times. Google earth is a great tool for finding new hunting grounds! Especially when gas is over 3 bucks a gallon,,,beats driving.

Comment

The biggest challenge, is the area and region your hunting. My hunting changes as to where I am hunting. Out west I can spot a campsite and with little doubt I will start finding artifacts. Far west I had difficulty locating campsites. Mid west I am still learning Where I would find a place. Sometimes its like it should be here and other times its like HUH really here, and I am totally clueless on the eastern sea board. I have been a hit and miss on the mid south, But I have hunted with other members from the site down there.
                              For what I see When you hunt a region long enough you get in tune with where campsites are. May not be always but I am sure most will say that you can recognize sites, even before you take the first step out to look.
                              Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Working...
                              X