Question about Indian Camp sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Indian Camp sites

So, I am curious about Indian campsites.
    Living in Colorado and being pretty much a newbie I have noticed that most of the pieces I have found are found on a hillside rather than flat ground. Common sense tells me the Indians did not camp on the side of a hill/mountain. I suppose over time weather and water and wind can wash and blow things around to a certain degree.
    Anybody here have any thoughts on this? Where do most of your finds come from in relation to where the "Campsite" is? Am I wrong in thinking the Indians did not set up camp on the mountainside? Maybe what I am thinking is a camp is really not a camp? The last place I found and assumed is/was a camp were lots of flakes and materials scattered about. Found a broken piece, a bi-face there but again, on the side of the hill.
    Thanks for any input! 

if your finding things along the hill sides i would think there eroding out of the top of the hill,or washed down it at one point in time and are now re-eroding out again.thats my guess.
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

That is a complicated question. Campsites are for the most part, are on flat ground. But not always, I have seen historic camps on the side of a hill. The wickieups would be some what dug out to make a level floor, also juniper bark would be laid down to make a softer floor for bedding. In the mountains cold air settles in the low areas, and a gentle slope with a south east/east facing, works for both for weather and for early morning warming. Also hill sides do get more wind so less bugs. I also believe, but do not have anything to base this on, so take this with a grain of salt. is that it easier to knapp when your feet are below you. I have found historic metal arrowhead manufacture sites on the sides of hills. But that is more for the exposed sandstone. First this was a perfect anvil, and second the sandstone would retain the heat. This also would work for heat treating chert's. The site your questioning, Has flakes everywhere. None of which I believe has eroded from the top. I would say that they camped all over. You will find chert from top to the bottom. I have both game drives, jumps and traps that utilize hill sides. Flat benches above rivers or creeks is always a good place to look, but springs do not always have flat benches, but usually is a better water source.  I hope that helps.
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Good answer Chase.  I'd like to add that anywhere close to a water source is a good place to look.  Also, anytime two bodies of water meet, you can almost guarantee there will be a campsite.

Comment

Great information from everybody. I really appreciate all your input. I have really learned a lot from the people on this forum. Good point about the wind. There are some places along hillsides that offer protection from the wind as well. The last place I found has springs all around so makes sense.
          Thanks all!! Very helpful!

Comment

Working...
          X