Equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equipment

Most all on here drive to a site to hunt. I have had to hike into areas that may be a few miles to walk in. I have a back pack and fill it with water. I also carry plastic containers and plastic bags for my finds. The one thing that I have found that works the best is the soap dishes I pick up from wal-mart. and the plastic bags.
    So what do you take out with you?

Look to the ground for it holds the past!

I have an old alice pack. I put it some apples, a couple cans of food, and water. If I am going to be crossing water I bring some neoprine booties and extra socks. I always have a first aid kid. In the summer I am apt to pack a .410 revolver (S&W governor) with snake shot. Bug spray, a big piece of thin cloth to put under my hat to keep bugs off my neck and face, a long sleeve shirt. If it is rainy I throw on a poncho.
    I carry a revolver because I have had to many close encounters with copperheads.
    I bring toilet paper and wrap up points in it, then put them in a plastic bag.  I always have a good stout walking stick. Sometimes I might pack a hammock and book.

Comment

Many years ago I carried a .357 for rattle snakes. One day I was headed down a ridge and walked on top of one. I heard the rattle underneath me and did a double flip backwards. It took me a few seconds to locate the snake. I pulled out the gun and shot.... and with my quivering hands I shot in the middle of the coil. It unraveled and head south sorta speak. I shot again and missed which it went the other way I shot again and missed and it went north. I did this until the gun was empty. Thats when I figured, I just did not need to pack extra weight , cause I could not hit the broadside of a barn. :dunno:  :rolf:
      Toilet paper has special purpose and its not wrapping up points. :rolf:  :side:  Call it lean and mean. :evil:
      Thanks

Comment

haha, you had him snakin to the east and snakin to the west. I am about as good a pistol shot as you. I bought a pistol that shoots .410 shotgun shells as my snake gun. It will pattern a couple houndred shot into a foot circle at 6 feet. I f I can't hit it with 6 shots with the thing, I deserve to be eaten. :laugh:
        As to the TP, it is a dual use piece of equipment. Gotta love those redundancies.

Comment

Being a woman, my #1 piece of equipment is my 60# dog! I also carry a walking staff with a stag horn cudgel on one end -and- have a whistle attached. Since I mostly walk beaches -and- marsh I wear rubber boots. And a fanny pack to hold water, snacks, -and- all my fabulous finds-- yeah right.
          Child of the tides

Comment

Good idea for a thread Chase! I can't add a whole lot to the equipment aspect outside of what's been mentioned... I did learn in a previous thread,  if your using an Atv, tire plugs
            Or spare tires are important. Lol.
              I will add that if your going out into a remote area, it's always a good idea to let someone know we're you'll be
            and when you expect to return, incase something unexpected like an accident occurs. And Havenhunter provided a good tip with the whistle,  which can be a life saver. Be safe out there!
              Good info everybody!
            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Around here the fields are not that far away from the road. I have worked construction most of my life and had rain days off so that's when I hunted in the rain. I wore hip waders a jacket with 2 big chest pockets for the umbrella  :rolf: I put the umbrella in top left pocket then snapped color button to hold it in place and hunted in wild weather. Crazy people hunt arrowheads ya know!

Comment

lmfa o boss called no work tomorrow because of rain and snow mix coming so I will go catch a cold

Comment

I wear pants. They have pockets. They are usually empty when I come home. 

Comment

Lets see here. I have a back pack with lots of stuff. 3 headlights, ziploc with a dozen or so batteries, ziploc with toilet paper/band aids, two digging tools, two bottles of water, bout 5 ft. of small rope, roll of athletic tape, 3 pair of gloves, pine knots, extra cigarette lighter, pliers, hunting knife, and empty cigarette packs. I've needed everyone of those things at some point in time. It's pretty heavy but im tough. Thanks

Comment

when im going out looking for artifacts ,and depending on where im going, i take either my canvas backpack or my canvas and leather shoulder bag, and i bring a full first aid kit, a swiss army champ knife,usually a granola bar or two, a drink, paper towels,a camera (thanks hoss!) and my walking stick.
                      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

I only take a drawstring sack (ones that you wear like a backpack).  In it I usually carry bug spray, 2 bottles of water, a large knife (for reasons unknown), my cell phone, and keys.  Also found a perfectly straight chewed beaver stick that I sharpened into a "poker" that I've been taking recently too.  Most of the time I still bend down to flip rocks and inspect.  I guess the stick is just something to keep my hands busy while I'm looking.  Thats about it.  I will be adapting my gear after reading some of your posts though.  Thanks
                        Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

I always take SOFTWARE ....loo-roll, bog-roll, toilet tissue, toilet paper (whichever name is used).  Everything else can be overcome !   
                          Although, when I was in the desert I always took my hand-held EPIRB.  If the mobile (cell phone) died and the water didn't  look like it would last then a sat-nav-distress beacon is gonna save your botty  B)

Comment

Since toilet paper is what seems to be the for most equipment., I will share a story.
                            I was a lad/boy That always wanted to be with my dad. He did take me with him every where. On one occasion we were hunting for elk. We had left in the middle of the night to get in position for the hunt. Right at sunrise, The urge to have that moment hit my dad. he went down the hill about 20 feet and behind a tree to take care of business. At about that time a heard of elk came in. :rolf:  :rolf: All that I can remember is seeing this white ass with jeans around the ankles waddling to get a shot at one.
                            prolly TMI  But  :whistle:  :rolf:

Comment

:laugh:  not to drift this topic to much but, i shot a little buck one time while i was "relieving" myself beside a tree,i rested my gun against the tree and turned to do my thing, i look up and see this buck trottin' on by, i didnt even have time to zip up, i just grabbed my gun and leaned against the tree and BLAM! ... i think i got some on my leg though .   :laugh:
                              call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Working...
                              X