looking in overgrown field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking in overgrown field

Relative has a house with two ponds. Both about 40 yards round. Ponds are 50 yards apart. Not sute how they are fed. Uncle has farm field behind that. Can't give an estimate on field. She told me that many years ago they used to swim in the ponds. She said they found arrowheads all the tlme.
    The field does not lool like it was plowed in five years. How can I hunt the land? Btw. The field vegetation is about 30 inches high.
    Peace,<br />[br]Kozman

Rent a tractor and tiller and take matters into your own hands.  :evil:
    I'm not sure but with ground cover  your chances a are limited. You can dig but be responsible if allowed in your state.
    That has always been a tough one for me, when you get into disturbing context it means that history is lost.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

not sure what the laws here in WI. Might take me away because I am in the middle a field with a shovel. I thought of weed wacking.
      Peace,<br />[br]Kozman

Comment

Just do not burn the field It will pop/crack the artifacts on the surface
        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Never hurts to check up on the laws...
          It would have to be a pretty darn good site to  randomly pick a spot and expect to find something .  :dunno:
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Not sure what the laws are in WI, and what the soil is like, but two things I've done before that work.
            In East Texas Big Thicket we used probes to find areas of interest below ground. You gotta be careful, because you will go right thru a pot or break a stone artifact if you exert too much force. I used a 4 ' stainless rod pointed on one end and a T welded to the other. I switched to a graphite fishing rod stem with a spike tip because you get a better "feel" on what medium your going thru.   Once you get the hang of it, it gets easier to tell the difference between stone ,wood, pottery and bone. I know an of an old timer who has found over 100 complete Caddo pots of all kinds using this and a post hole digger.
            The other way is a hand held motor auger,  like they use for fence posts.  It's more of an investment, and you need a little ass to use it,  but it will save you lots of digging time, and it will give you a quick idea of whats below the fastest
              Good luck,                      Lone Star.
            FGH Check out my artifact store at Lone Star Artifact Reclaim

Comment

kozman wrote:

not sure what the laws here in WI. Might take me away because I am in the middle a field with a shovel. I thought of weed wacking.
                When you say weed wacking, sounds like you're just thinking about knocking down the vegetation to get a better look/see? Why not have it bush hogged? A lot faster, but perhaps slightly more aggressive.  :dunno:
              Child of the tides

Comment

iF IT WAS PLOWED BEFORE ,plow it again!

Comment

Well I will have to wait to get into that field until spring. We are in a 10 inch blizard today.
                  Peace,<br />[br]Kozman

Comment

Working...
                  X