Teepee rings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teepee rings.

A friend of mine has a lot of teepee rings on his private ground and is an avid artifact hunter, but says he has never been able to find anything around them. Any hints as to how to make these produce or any idea why he can't find any thing around them?

Is he digging? I always heard that the "good" stuff was around the tp's?, and not in the burnt rock midden? IDK

Comment

Yeah he has done a little digging inside the rings but can only get down a couple inches and hits solid rock.

Comment

The many rings I have seen Have no artifacts. Which would indicate they are more ceremonial rings. IMO The fact they are round and have a smaller center ring in the center is not necessarily what would make it a teepee ring. The placing of them  are not in an area conducive of a campsite. At least from what I have experienced.
        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

lawman7 wrote:

A friend of mine has a lot of teepee rings on his private ground and is an avid artifact hunter, but says he has never been able to find anything around them. Any hints as to how to make these produce or any idea why he can't find any thing around them?
            I'd start with a metal detector.

Comment

If they are close to a creek or river or some other body of water,  look there.  Hard to find artifacts in sod
            South Dakota

Comment

Just one question how big are the rings you are talking about.
              I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Comment

The rings are not close to a creek. They are on top of a ridge and I have not been out to the site just yet. I hope to once the weather gets better.

Comment

lawman7 wrote:

The rings are not close to a creek. They are on top of a ridge and I have not been out to the site just yet. I hope to once the weather gets better.
                  My experience is they are any where from 10 to 15 feet around with the center circle is one to two feet. It would be nice to see but I would look for where the closest water source is to find artifacts. I guess my question would be is what is the outer ring of rocks for? Tie downs? If they are close to water then I might buy into that.

Comment

Not sure why I keep thinking about this thread, But there are things about it that I think need to be explored. One is the amount of rings, if they were used for that purpose you would see them every where. Two the placement. from what I have seen they are not in places that is an ideal camp site. Yes I grew up with that was what they were called, but the more I think about it no they are not.

Comment

okay Man the more I think about it, and sites I have been privileged to see. and not seeing the rings. It makes it more unlikely. Just my observation. One thing I had a conversation with a friend that we had about migrations  of  people to move with the animals would be a circle to make sure the game was not be exploited to the point of extinction. but more a culling. I have done some research on campsites on the spacing. both pre-historic and historic  there is a pattern. No I am just making assumptions just thoughts reasoning how humans move and what they would do to survive.

Comment

Chase once the weather gets better here in southeast Montana I will get out and get a better idea of the size and placement of the rings. I will need to drill my friends brain some more as he did mention that an archaeologist had seen them but then the subject went off on another topic.

Comment

lawman7 wrote:

Chase once the weather gets better here in southeast Montana I will get out and get a better idea of the size and placement of the rings. I will need to drill my friends brain some more as he did mention that an archaeologist had seen them but then the subject went off on another topic.
                          I look forward to to what you find out. When I was a kid my grand parents took me to three teepee's still standing. They were in a lower area and they were not lined with rocks. Three miles away were rings on a ridge. no water close  a few years later there was a dig site and there was post holes found in clay but no rock rings the many sites I have visited of multi occupation camp sites I would think I would have seen rings but those are absent.  I will be interested to hear what you find out.

Comment

Working...
                          X