Rock Midden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock Midden

In March, plan to dig into what appears to be rock midden located in Kimble Co. Tx. Going to use a bobcat to move some dirt and rocks. Will be sifting the dirt and debris.
    Any advice from some more experienced diggers on this board?
    Where should we start and what should we be looking for as we dig?
    Any and all advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    The midden is located close to and old stream bed, where several points and tools have been found. Also the ground around the area is littered with flakes.
    Thanks in advance .

What do you mean by close to an old stream bed?  If it is a still active stream with running water and the place you plan to dig is on the floodplain (T-0), you might be required to get a permit from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers before using heavy equipment (Bobcat) or even shovels to alter a floodplain.  They get right riled when folks start altering floodplains under their jurisdiction.  If I recall correctly, this subject is addressed under Section 401 or 404 of the federal Clean Water Act.
    Otherwise, I'm buggin' out on this subject.  I'm a lover---not a digger (with apologies to Michael Jackson).

Comment

No, the stream bed is long dry. Been dry for many many years.
      I believe it was fed by a spring hundreds or maybe thousands of years ago.

Comment

Outside of Garscale your going to have a hard time getting the advice your looking for. Maybe send him a pm.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

:crazy: These guys dig burnt rock middens with screwdrivers...4-real.....I watched them pull out 3 points. Do it in a straight line..not here and there

Comment

Working...
          X