No announcement yet.

Arrests in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have watched diggers for years ruin archaeological sites for their own greed and profit,
    most illegally dug or acquired artifacts never make it to the public's view, and the provenance is obscured and or lost
    making the artifacts value only aesthetic, and causes many problems for those sincere in lithic studies

Comment

greg blood wrote:

I have watched diggers for years ruin archaeological sites for their own greed and profit,
      most illegally dug or acquired artifacts never make it to the public's view, and the provenance is obscured and or lost
      making the artifacts value only aesthetic, and causes many problems for those sincere in lithic studies
      That's interesting. When I started hunting a few years ago I was gathering quite a few artifacts on surface hunts, mostly on public waterways. As I understood it, these sites were of little use to archeologist due to the moving water destroying these sites. Anyway, I was going to donate a large portion of my collection to local museums ( I never sell anything) when a friend told me that's not a good idea since hunting on some waterways that are public grounds is considered illegal. I was like really? So not wanting to get in trouble if (I'm not sure where I hunt is illegal ) it was , I've just held onto everything. The reason I mention this is because you said things are kept out of the publics view. Maybe if the rules/laws were changed, more people like me would donate their collections to museums so we all could learn and appreciate their beauty and history. The rules / laws keep everything in the closet.
      I'm not endorsing trespassing or digging up sites and destroying archeological sites!
      Clay

Comment

I'M not getting into the whole texas thing but here in MO. The laws and privilege's of navigable waterways can be confusing. Here from what i understand if any waterway is navigable by say canoe or kayak you can float it, but that does not mean you can step on every gravel bar legally, IF they are private property (even if below high water mark and vegitation) but most places that you can legally get out you are not supposed to hunt artifacts like parks and such. So yes you can legally float but not be on private property, sometimes a person does have to relieve themselves though. :dunno:
        I know the waterway laws and privilege's may not be what you heard from somebody, or maybe even what you may find online that may be outdated. Have been looking into the waterway thing for a decade. There are spots on the national ozark scenic riverway that you can stop and camp on gravel bars, for 3 days i think or its considered squatting. Not supposed to mess with artifacts there though.
          Property owners along all the other creeks and rivers do not own the (the water and fish) creeks or rivers, but they do own the property wether you have the right to pass through or not, which you do if navigable. The vegitation/high water mark privilege only applies to our ozark national scenic riverways (and maybe the 11 point river?) but there are a lot of private property owners along that area, but you are allowed to use gravel bars for up to 3 days. I dont know how texas may be different, and dont mean to hijack/butt in.
        IF You decide to float try to mind your p's and q or you may run into this fella i am posting a picture of! hmy:  :rolf:

:laugh:
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Any avid hobbiest or 'amateur' archaeologist I would not begrudge nor  consider for citizens arrest,
          lets say, if they were on a weekend canoeing trip with the family or similar circumstance, maybe just
          down at the creek fishing or swimming, lets say, and they see and pick up an artifact, maybe they even go on to look around awhile,
          they take their booty and are on their way, ok they have come and gone and no-one beside this small group know the difference, they did not dig anything,
          did not vandalize anyhting, they are just picking up a few rocks, good, Hurrah for them. I love to see people get excited about this hobby and
          the chief-art of finding, collecting remnants and left-over trash from the past and putting this passion into positive use to better understand mans' past and history.
          What crawls under my skin is when hunters consider every opportunity to find relics, legal or not, for their own profit their right and that there should be no repercussions for their actions. I have picked up stones myself that I should have left lying where they were. But individuals, especially if there is a $$ sign attached, who willingly, knowingly transgress laws, ordinances, rules and or civic standards, moral absolutes, ie. posted signs on 'private land', no trespassing means no trespassing, public lands with 'SIGNS' 'do not remove plants rocks, relics etc.etc. Citizens with the same obligations as the law abiding and the conscientious  and courteous, but without regard for laws of the land and or respect for their neighbors, I believe need their compASS adjusted.

Comment

Navigating waterways is a wonderful way to find relics, but remember when you are no longer floating you are no longer 'on the water' or navigating it you are on solid ground and subject to someone.
            It is always better to 'Get Permission', A collection with a clear conscience is always a great pleasure to share with the public.
            I always try to have a piece or two of some type of relic on hand, in my pocket, on my dashboard, floorboard, usually the last few pieces I've found.
            I show them to people, talk to people on the street, when I am standing at the cash register waiting for my change, I'll reach in my pocket pull out a lithic of some kind and begin a conversation, and what blessed friendships and opportunities that approach has availed me opening doors I could never have climbed over or around.
            I have learned that to show and display my passion and my hobby affords broader fields to hunt.
            At the moment I am preparing a number of cases of my own personal finds for display at the public library during the month of February and working on a script for a local news write-up. I have shared and spoken to schoolgroups cub and boyscout troops,clubs, archaeological societies and any one who will look and listen.
            Listen I am not tooting a horn here, my own or anyone elses, but the archaeology of North America has been mistreated long enough, and
            personally I believe it is the 'Amateur' and hobbiest that honorably applies his passions that can open doors of opportunity,
            This is also one reason I am reaching back into the internet world of 'HeadHunters' to show there is honor to this dusty dirty and mostly odd desire to walk around
            "Just Picken Up Rocks'.             
            PS. Wasn't meaning to spue hot air at anyone in particular, just venting after not being able to get out hunting in a while.          GB

Comment

Working...
            X