Geophysics and Arrowheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geophysics and Arrowheads

Has anyone used or have any thoughts on using geophysical equipment when hunting for arrowheads? I'm new to hunting but am looking to get serious and curious if any technology has been applied to hunting. Thanks for the site!!

Welcome to AH.com  :welcome:
    I have used a magnetometer and a metal detector. If that helps. neither device helped in locating rocks butt got me out into the fields to use my eyeballs.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

:welcome: from east TN!
      Are your referring to ground penetrating radar?  I've never heard of it used to find "arrowheads". Most people just do it the old fashion way and surface hunt artifacts that have eroded out or been exposed by farming equipment. 
      Others dig but,  there are legal and ethical issues involved with digging NA artifacts.
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

It gets a little problematic.  For the collector, geophysics such as electromagnetic conductivity (metal detectors) can locate contact sites or some older pre-contact sites with copper, but it is likely that digging them will disturb graves or true in situ artifacts thereby losing the information they have to offer.  Metal detectors can be useful in contact areas to find metal goods within the till zone though.  Ground penatrating radar can located grave sites, house sites, pathways, (anything with a marked contrast in compaction or density) however, again, by disturbing these areas, you lose the information they have to offer.  Like most things in life, there is no easy way.  Best way is to use education, archived data, topography, soil types, and knowledge of stream/river systems can all be helpful in locating suitable hunting grounds.

Comment

Thanks for the responses so far!  Ya I understand gpr can pinpoint things as small as arrowheads.  I just didn't know if a survey of some sort would be helpful in finding a possible camp.  Ya I wouldn't think a mag would be to useful since the Indians didn't have any big metal objects.

Comment

The best thing is boots or shoes on the ground use water ways.  google maps will help.
            Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

I definitely agree!  Any good spots in Texas anyone can recommend?  Know there are some all over this state!

Comment

:laugh: from what ive seen on the computer you can find stuff just about anywhere in Texas! heres some general advice that might help. first, learn your local point styles and the materials they were made out of, learn to spot "work" on a piece.try checking fields (with permission where needed) right after they've been plowed and after good heavy rains.check the washouts and the high points in the area.and you can try walking the banks of rivers and streams and checking the gravel bars.hope this helps! good luck!
                call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

I think you would need a pretty refined gpr system to pick up arrowheads.  It is more useful for major changes in density, such as the compacted floor of a house site, bedrock, buried/excavated areas i.e. graves, fire pits, etc.  I did work with a company at one time to try to develop a gpr system that would provide 3D images of metallic items for UXO clearance, but the system was not effective.

Comment

Finding them is pretty low tech.  Like stated above, good pair of boots, determination and a stick to pop stones out of the ground so you don't have to bend over for a thousand false alarms and your good to go.

Comment

Working...
                    X