Digging in Kansas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digging in Kansas

Does anybody have any advice on digging in Kansas? How deep, equipment. I am used to wiggle pick and central Texas. What do I look for to know a camp site. Midden rock,snail, flakes? Any help would sure be appreciated!

IF "OK" then look where a camp may have been, check surface for flakes and pottery etc. Paleo may be 6 ft give or take. :laugh:
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

I have no problem digging deep. Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to know the law exactly painshill posted that it is "discouraged". Anyways always interested in digging with new people of you are ever willing to make a drive

Comment

Me?    Will keep that in mind cause i could enjoy a getaway! :laugh:  Water source,south exposure,hilltops or even flat areas!

Comment

Definitely make sure it's legal in Kansas before digging.

Comment

We could all use one haha. Yeah I am pretty sure it's legal on private land just not encouraged. Not even sure what kind of stuff we could get into digging deep here. Very interested though

Comment

I'd help you out if I could, but Tennessee land is much different than Kansas.  Hopefully someone here will help you out. I'd guess starting at high ground where two bodies of water connect would be a good try.

Comment

Thanks guys, so does anyone know if using a wiggle pick is a good way to go here in Kansas?

Comment

Not very many diggers here, I don't even know what a wiggle pick is :dunno: I'm assuming some kind of probe :dunno:
                  You see flintking when you do an uncontrolled dig,  you run the risk of
                  destroying irreplaceable information,  that could be obtained by professional archaeologists.  You also run the risk of disturbing a burial site or culturally significant site. So in this way there are ethical issues with doing uncontrolled excavations in an attempt to remove artifacts. Others here could elaborate with more expertise than I. But I just wanted to explain why you may not find the answers your looking for.
                  Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Kyflintguy wrote:

Not very many diggers here, I don't even know what a wiggle pick is :dunno: I'm assuming some kind of probe :dunno:
                    You see flintking when you do an uncontrolled dig,  you run the risk of
                    destroying irreplaceable information,  that could be obtained by professional archaeologists.  You also run the risk of disturbing a burial site or culturally significant site. So in this way there are ethical issues with doing uncontrolled excavations in an attempt to remove artifacts. Others here could elaborate with more expertise than I. But I just wanted to explain why you may not find the answers your looking for.
                      Thanks, but don't need a lesson on what is and is not ethical. I'm not new to this hobby, just Kansas.

Comment

I'm a digger. I don't use wiggle picks like they do in Texas.  I use a shovel and sifter, but like I said before that weatern dirt is a different devil. I'll help you anyway I can.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure how I could go about it. I Don't understand being legal there aren't more diggers. In Texas we are all over haha

Comment

Digging has almost become a bad word! At least with regular people!  :angry: 

Comment

I was not passing judgment on anyone. Just trying to explain why flintking may not find the answers he seeks. Another reason for not very many replies may simply just be there aren't any active posters with digging experience in Kansas.  :dunno:
                            My papaw was a digger,  and I remember tagging along a few times as a child. When I first got into collecting I attempted to dig a few times with very little success.  Then I realized I could surface hunt with more success and a lot less labor.
                            Then my evolution as a collector led me  to try to understand what I was finding, and realized my actions could be counter productive to learning.  And I also learned of laws and regulations regarding digging.  So I decided that I'd rather just stick to surface hunting.  Just personal preference. Everyone can choose how they collect for themselves based on were they hunt and the laws regarding it. That's just been my evolution ....
                            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

JoshinMO wrote:

Digging has almost become a bad word! At least with regular people!  :angry: 
                                Yup not many people think m very regular, but I guess I like it that way! Lol
                              My favorite part of digging and I don't know how it is in MO but I love seeing the different occupation layers and all the camp material right where it was. I was a surface hunter for a while and still love it but once I was taught to dig the right way (in Texas) I have learned so much more about how they lived.

Comment

Working...
                              X