Arrowheads East TN (Knoxville)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrowheads East TN (Knoxville)

Hello all, I just moved to the Knoxville area recently from Arizona. In Arizona I spent my weekends hiking and looking for arrowheads and pottery shards as a hobby. In Arizona you can go into the National forest and pick up artifacts off the ground as long as you're not digging. Since I've lived in Knoxville, Ive heard and read about TVA strict regulations and removing anything from their property. Can anyone point me into the right direction as in places to look other than "TN River" or "Douglas lake." Im not asking for your secret spot but if anyone could please point me in a more specific direction than TN River. Any help is greatly appreciated because I would like to get back into my hobby in the surrounding Knoxville area but do not know the places to look. Thank you for your time.

Can't help with hunting but  :welcome:  to the forum from east Tx.
    east Tx.

Comment

:welcome: from Oak Ridge! 
      I've lived here for three years and still haven't really figured it out yet. I've had a small amount of luck in a creek in Roane co. Were some family live, but this area has me stumped as well,  I have been looking at Google earth to find possible fields in good locations but I haven't committed to going out and hunting down the landowners for permission.  That's my only good suggestion is to find someone with a plowed field or cleared land for a house seat etc, and ask :dunno:
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Kyflintguy, thank you for responding. I went back to Arizona for a vacation recently and found some good stuff at one of my spots. Than I come back here and go out looking and find nothing, it can be frustrating. But i will press on and hopefully figure this area out!

Comment

Who told you it was legal to collect artifacts in a National Park?
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hoss, in the national forest pick up and look at. Anything I've collected and brought home came from a private ranch in Globe, Az i had permission to be on.

Comment

Hoss wrote:

Who told you it was legal to collect artifacts in a National Park?
              Hoss, he said Nat. Forest, not Park. Regulations regarding what one can do and pick up in a National Forest are not the same as in a National Park. Different set of rules and regs altogether. The NPS is in the Dept. of Interior. The NFS is in the Dept. of Agriculture. Nat. Forests allow timber cutting, hunting, cattle grazing, mining, etc. Parks allow none of those activities.

Comment

Still BLM isn't it?
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

JK2009TN wrote:

Kyflintguy, thank you for responding. I went back to Arizona for a vacation recently and found some good stuff at one of my spots. Than I come back here and go out looking and find nothing, it can be frustrating. But i will press on and hopefully figure this area out!
                  There are good places in this area, I've saw collections and heard the stories,  but it's all about getting permission.  Like you I go back to Kentucky to my home turf were I know good spots. My hunting has been very sparse in the last 3 years since I've been down here but I'm always listening for a lead into a nice field etc....
                  Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

People own private property in our national forest's. For example our mark twain forest's.
                    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Fine around here can be around 100$ an artifact by what I hear. I'm from Vonore TN fairly close to Flintguy. I'll go ahead and say this and that's most people who hunt in this area hunt the lakes and rivers contrary to law. Ive seen major sites with a dozen people on them before. I try and avoid picked over sites and heavily trafficked ones.
                      The law is very strange here. They openly say most times if you come across a point or artifact on the surface and pick it up no one will bother you about it. They really target the people who rape and dig these historical sites. There's signs all over my area warning of the fines and prison time. Doesn't deter people they just don camo and hit them when the waters low in winter.
                      I don't take issue with surface collectors myself regardless of law. Saving a piece of history from obliteration doesn't degrade the historical aspect of a site in my opinion. Especially on collapsed sites that have been under these tvas lakes that hold zero archaeological value now. I feel collector's value these items and give them the respect they deserve.
                      I luckily have brothers in the mowing business and they now a lot of owners of huge farms and residential areas on the lake and I usually get permission. I also will walk creeks in the woods on park land and private land at times. I got a lot of stuff but it's taken me a lot of years to get there. Get to know people with gardens or farms near water or get a kayak and a nice weighted sack you can toss and go "kayaking" along the bank of the Tennessee when the waters down. Just don't overdo it and stay away from populated areas and private land. Gardens small or big near creeks on bottom land put out. My first trip as a kid we pulled 10 out of a tiny garden in an hour
                        I don't do it for profit I don't sell anything. I collect to preserve.My grandmother was a Matoy. The Cherokee name was Moytoy. My direct grandfather lineage goes back to Moytoy the beloved one of the Cherokee. I'm still here because the locals hid my ancestors during the trail of tears relocation. I'm connected to this stuff and just wanna see it preserved. TVA destroyed it so it's ironic in a way. I'm not saying go violate the law I really don't outside occasionally creek walking I just know how heavily it's done. Wow long winded.

Comment

[QUOTE]Kyflintguy wrote:

Originally posted by JK2009TN post=157562
                        There are good places in this area, I've saw collections and heard the stories,  but it's all about getting permission.  Like you I go back to Kentucky to my home turf were I know good spots. My hunting has been very sparse in the last 3 years since I've been down here but I'm always listening for a lead into a nice field etc....
                        Memoirs of Lt. Henry Timberlake. All the leads you need for my part of the woods complete with map. It's just a matter of finding the actual areas, plotting the courses of the waterways under the lake in aspect to backfill, then back tracking public land and creeks in the area. Albeit I haven't been on a waterway in TN I haven't seen flint.
                          I started doing this at 12 and I'm 37. I talked to lots of old timers and learned lots of places and stuff. The older ones always eager to share places with the passionate ones carrying on preservation of this stuff and saving it from plows. It's tough here with the woods leaves. It took me many many years to accumulate sites. Now it's just a matter of scouting them post rain. I have hard time getting new places but look frequent.

Comment

I would suggest any recently turned field , especially ones on or near creeks ,rivers, or, lakes. Since it is illegal to remove artifacts from TVA land I would not suggest it but there are many great places about anywhere on Cherokee Lake , Nolichucky River and Norris lake and Clinch river. Good luck.

Comment

I need help finding places to hunt arrowheads near and around knoxville Tennessee

Comment

Or someone to go with

Comment

Working...
                              X