Montana Hunting Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montana Hunting Help

Quick bio.  Grew up in Oklahoma and have hunted points since I was 5 years old.  I have lived in Bozeman, Montana for quite a while, ten years or so, and I've recently rekindled my hunting obsession.  I've found two scrapers and a half dozen flakes after a year of pretty hard hunting.  I've become frustrated to say the least.
    It's just so different hunting in the Midwest and south compared to here.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  helpful hints?
    Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the site Bozeman Sooner (can't make up your mind?) 
    Outside of perseverance, research, google maps, topo's and plat maps, getting to know folks who know in your area, I can't be much help.
    We do have some folks out your way though that might stop in here and be some help though.
    While your waiting check out Rock Queen's posts, those should help lose some of that frustration.
    Good Luck.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Welcome! I suggest you continue to keep trying and go to new to you places and what greg said.
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Hello from Maine.I had the same problem when I moved to Maine from Illinois.Whole different animal when it came to artifact hunting.With hardly any agricultural here in Maine field hunting was out.You need to spend some time on line and find out where they have found sites.There aren't that many major streams running across the state of Montana its just that its such a large state.I lived in Billings for years but never even looked to busy fishing or hunting.I would think any stream would hold artifacts so that's where I'd start.Good luck...mjm

Comment

BozemanSooner wrote:

Quick bio.  Grew up in Oklahoma and have hunted points since I was 5 years old.  I have lived in Bozeman, Montana for quite a while, ten years or so, and I've recently rekindled my hunting obsession.  I've found two scrapers and a half dozen flakes after a year of pretty hard hunting.  I've become frustrated to say the least.
          It's just so different hunting in the Midwest and south compared to here.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  helpful hints?
          Thanks in advance!
          Water and wind breaks  work wonderful for me.
          Welcome to the site neighbor  :lol:

Comment

An archaeologist in Montana said the area along the Missouri river and its tributaries in central Montana were heavily used by many Native American tribes for a very long time with some of the oldest sites in the state at over 11000 years. All of the arrowhead pictures I posted on the South Phillips County post came from a short distance of the Missouri river. North Central Montana has a lot off tepee ring rock sites. We had a pasture that was only about 20 miles from the Canadian border that had quite a few rock tepee rings on it. Someone came and stole all of the rocks from the two best ones. All of the tepee rings sites were on high ground so they could see who was coming.

Comment

I'm not sure how much Montana and utah have in common but I always have luck around high mountain springs and lower creeks and streams. Even on fairly steep hills alongside the streams I still find stuff .

Comment

Working...
              X