No announcement yet.

Are all Creeks created equal ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know your area and I haven't even as much as seen a picture of the creeks but here is my 2 cents worth. I have done quite a bit of creek collecting and it has been pretty productive for me. If I was you, I would not weigh an opinion on one trip. Your "waterglass" may actually be half full. Do yourself a favor and take two pieces of advice from me. First, 2ndoldman is the king of metal detecting (as far as I am concerned) and if the old road is truly a road with some Civil War era travels and encampments then don't worry so much about the road because like you said, it has been reworked so many times "BUT" I doubt the troops would have camped in the road. To be sure there is some Military Strategy that would have convinced them to camp in places off the road that would have allowed them to see the road but from a point that would have given them an attack or retreat advantage. Look off the road if you ever decide to reconsider metal detecting.

My second piece of advice concerning creek collecting is (in my area) not always, but most of the time, artifacts or fossils that wash into the creek don't stay on the surface long. In other words, I find 95% of my creek finds below the sand on top of the hardpan. Most of my creeks have a sandy bed just under the water but below the sand is eventually a hard bottom. A hardpan of clay. I find that the water action works artifacts and fossils down through the sand and they settle on the hard clay bottom. Take a T Handled probe rod with you, if you can find a shallow creek with a sandy bottom, probe the sand looking for a hard bottom surface a foot or less below the sand and if you locate this spot, start screening shovelfuls from the bottom at the hardpan level Shallow sand and shallow water is preferred because it is almost impossible to effectively screen if it is deeper because the water will wash the sand back off your shovel.

If none of this advice works for you then just enjoy the scenery and peace and quiet because that is priceless as well. Good luck to you and I really hope you start finding stuff in the creeks.
    \"Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most.\"

Comment

That is some awesome advice on both counts. I am going to buy a metal detector. I truly appreciate it. I have been creek walking a few times since this thread was made, but so far no dice in the indian artifacts department. Plenty of wild life and fossils tho.

I love getting out and seeing the sights this time of year.

Comment

Hey Waterglass, if I may, I would like to give you one more piece of advise that should put your waterglass at 3/4 full. If you do use a probe to find hard bottom surfaces beneath sand, look also for natural traps. Going into a sharp bend in the creek or a drop off that washed out a small low spot. Things wash down into the low spot but not out of it. I have had the best luck using this tactic. Heavy root tangles or a downed and partially submerged tree trunk is a good source too. Things wash up against it but not over or past it. If you recently had a very intense and heavy downpour, when it is safe to do so, try to be the first to look before items washed out by erosion get a chance to work their way down to the bottom. Watch for snakes. I really hope things change for the better for you by using some of the advice this thread has generated. I have a couple of video clips of creek collecting I have done and tried to post one but I can't figure out how to load it.
        Last edited by taxidermist01; 09-10-2015, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Well, that looks a whole lot better then city or suburb! And it's great to walk an old road like that where you know "history was happening". We have a hilly dirt road up here in RI that the French troops marched on on their way to the Battle of Yorktown in 1781.

Great advice, taxidermist. Creek hunting is something I've never tried.
          Last edited by CMD; 09-08-2015, 08:53 PM.
          Rhode Island

Comment

My Glass over floweth with enthusiasm. lol, seriously. I am heading for the bottom tomorrow. I'll be going a different way this time. I should be able to walk ten miles of creek or more. I always come loaded for snake when I go down into the deep bottoms.

Comment

Good luck. I sure hope you find some nice stuff.

Comment

Well, nowthey are saying storms and wind, so I am going to have rain check my plans.

P.S. I love these new emotocons.

Comment

link to the good news and pretty pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndoldman View Post
                    If I were walking a pre civil war road that has seen enough traffic to keep it open I would be swinging my metal detector at the same time.
                    Easy enough to listen for tones while you watch the ground. :woohoo:
                    Or maybe even look a little north ground and find a little Gensang 😎
                    As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
                    NW Arkansas

Comment

Love the pics!

Comment

• waterglass
                        waterglass commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thank you.

Originally posted by G10+ View Post

Or maybe even look a little north ground and find a little Gensang 😎
                      I used to dig gensang when I was a kid, but these days I let it grow where I find it.

Comment

I dug it as a kid with my dad. Couldn't spot it for nothing now.

Comment

I can still spot it when I try, I have better luck looking for the right height plant then checking leaves when I just scan for it. To many common plants with similar leaf patterns. If it is too low it is generally Poison oak, if it is too high it might be a buck eye or something else. the goldy locks zone is 8" to a foot.
                          Last edited by waterglass; 10-14-2015, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by waterglass View Post
                            I can still spot it when I try, I have better luck looking for the right height plant then checking leaves when I just scan for it. To many common plants with similar leaf patterns. If it is too low it is generally Poison oak, if it is too high it might be a buck eye or something else. the goldy locks zone is 8" to a foot.
                            One of the most productive spots I ever dug was facing more to east than north and I guess the sun had stunted the tops of the plants , a mature 4 prong would only be 6" high so if u were not careful u would walk right by them ..... But they sure were NOT stunted under neath, And for some reason and dang copperheads were thick in that holler too .... Kinda crazy , sorry y'all didn't mean to drag this thread all over the place ......
                            Last edited by G10+; 10-16-2015, 12:05 AM. Reason: Spelling
                            As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
                            NW Arkansas

Comment

I have found it facing just about every which way. I have found it in deep bottoms, and on hill tops not 40 feet from the fields edge. where ever some critter drops undigested seeds, it will grow if it can.

Comment

Working...
                              X