Looking to find artifacts Virginia beach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to find artifacts Virginia beach

Hello my name is Andrew I have always been interested in Native American History . Over the years I have always wanted to find artifacts but never ventured out to look for them . I do alot of hiking and camping , recently I camped over in First Landing State Park. I did some reading about the area and discovered Native Americans were where I camped. I would like to start looking for artifacts from the past I have no clue where to begin. I have done some reading on the subject and see that plowed fields are good spots to look . Well in Virginia Beach there are few farm fields but not many and I'm not sure if I would be looking in right areas. Is there local groups I can contact about this? If anyone could give some advice I would really appreciate any.

Welcome Andrew.  I'm new to the site myself but you can learn a lot from sites like this.  Here is what helps me in North Carolina.  At least in my area of North Carolina.  Lets assume you can find some fields to get permission to look in.  I always look for Sandy Ridges or Rises and start walking rows at the peak of the rise looking carefully from side to side.  It normally doesn't take long to know if you found a productive site because at a minimum you should find small rock flakes/chips and clay pottery shards.  Hopefully you soon find a nice point or two.  Always get the permission.  Assure the land owner you will respect his property.  No digging and park out of the way and walk, walk, walk.  If you don't have sandy fields that doesn't mean it is a deal breaker.  I just have better luck in sandy areas with a slight rise in the field.  Think of it like this.  If you didn't have a house with 30 year architectural shingles to keep the rain out, you would like sand because it doesn't hold rain well.  No sleeping in rain puddles and the rise in the field helped in the same way plus gave them better sight of who or what might approach.  If your near a river or natural fresh water source your odds just go up.  Even though you might find an arrowhead laying directly on top of the surface as we all have from time to time, don't expect that to be the norm.  Train yourself to look for distinct features.  Get familiar with the stone types most commonly used for that area and pick up every dang rock and look it over closely.  You will be surprised how many more artifacts you find by using that method.  Good luck and please let me know if you have any luck.
    Bobby
    \"Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most.\"

Comment

Also the best hunting is after a field has been freshly plowed and rained on but I have been known to find points in fields that were so dry and dusty it would choke a road lizard.  Just sayin.  You can't find any if you don't go.

Comment

FYI dont look in the state park either. Laws have changed a lot since the 70's and most public land is off limits or by permit only to collecting.
        I like what Taxidernist shared I would add a Southern or Eastern exposure as well.  It is not really a deal breaker but if you lived your life in a tent you would want the warming sunshine to hit you first thing in the morning. Especially in winter. Another thing to keep in mind is near a river is good but where a stream or creek flows into a river is even better. Smaller creeks and streams would have cleaner water. It would be less apt to be polluted with organic matter.  They would have the river for fishing and bathing and the smaller creek for drinking water.  Survival is paramount when thinking of where a camp might be. In warmer climates in summer a person can die from dehydration in two days. Rivers where also the super highways of the past. Trading up and down the river was done for thousands of years
        Another thing is go to the local  Historical Society or the public library and ask if there is a local historian versed in Native American Indians in that area. Then if you find a person look them up and see if they can offer some pointers.
        I will end my advise with the best advise anyone can give. " Keep your eye on the ground!" Best of luck in the hunt.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Good advise Hoss,
          We have covered the "Please" and "Thank You" and scratched on Legal advice and armed him with some great tips and pointers.  Just remember Andrew, artifact collecting is picking up.  Pun intended.  Also it doesn't hurt to pray to the Artifact Gods for success either.  If your doing it right (collecting that is) then you are going to bend over for more leaves, plastic and what not that fooled you into thinking it could be an artifact than real artifacts and if this ain't the case then you ain't doin it right.  Now get out there and find some of those Tips and Pointers.

Comment

taxidermist01 wrote: Good advise Hoss,
            We have covered the "Please" and "Thank You" and scratched on Legal advice and armed him with some great tips and pointers.  Just remember Andrew, artifact collecting is picking up.  Pun intended.  Also it doesn't hurt to pray to the Artifact Gods for success either.  If your doing it right (collecting that is) then you are going to bend over for more leaves, plastic and what not that fooled you into thinking it could be an artifact than real artifacts and if this ain't the case then you ain't doin it right.  No get out and find some of those Tips and Pointers.
              Aint that the truth brother
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

The advice given is all good advice. Now most artifact hunters will not divulge where their sites are located. The leg work to find a good site takes time to find one. Over the years I have chewed up many boot sole. Not many hunting groups that I have heard of, but I have many hunting buddy's That we go out together for a day. I have taken out few new artifact collectors, and given them different ideas as what I look for.  I have had the pleasure of hunting many states and there is a learning curve to geographical areas, but the common thing for all is a good water source. for three reasons one has been mention is for drinking, another is for crops and  and game since they need water too. Now I do have sites that there is no river stream creek or spring for a water source, but they are winter camps and snow is the source. High ground is preferred both for advantage of view and less insects with wind.
              Andrew welcome to AH.com :welcome: ....feel free ask any question you may have.
              Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Areas surrounding swamps can be  good places to look too. It don't have to be fresh water today. A swamp might have been a crystal clear lake 7,000 years ago.

Comment

Hoss wrote: Areas surrounding swamps can be  good places to look too. It don't have to be fresh water today. A swamp might have been a crystal clear lake 7,000 years ago.
                    That is very good Hoss, Another is glacial recede Both for melt and springs that move back. So many variables. I drove by a site for years and in my mind said I need to walk that area as I drove by to other sites. I had a day that I missed a doctors appointment so I had free time and went there. WOW I wasted a lot of gas! :crazy:  And then I went out with a fellow member on a hunt. New to hunting artifacts. I wanted to show some sites that I found in the area. only to be shown other sites I missed. the hard pill to swallow was when asked dose this look like a site. and saying no! if your wanting to get into artifact hunting "look to the ground for it holds the past and leave no stone un-turned. "
                  Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Thanks to all who wrote back to my post. I live very close to the Dismal Swamp there are many farm fields in this area , Lake Drummand is a one of Virginia's natural lakes , I am not a native to this area so I don't know the families who are farmers I guess it never hurts to ask.
                    I was also wondering if it pays to look along the shores of the Chesapeake bay I know all the major rivers run into bay , not really sure how productive it would be due to beach traffic.
                    Again thanks to all who responded I will keep you updated on my adventures .
                    Cheers
                    Andrew

Comment

Andrew,
                      Talk to me my man.  Its been a whole week.  I know you have taken this worldly wisdom that has been passed on to you and went looking already.  Let me tell you this.  I assure you there is such a thing as "Beginners Luck" and those are usually the best finds.  When you do manage a score, you got to post pictures and let us know.  Good luck.
                      Bobby

Comment

Hello Andrew,
                        I'm old to the game of uncovering artifacts but new to uncovering native artifacts. I live in Portsmouth and have been researching areas, we have many great farm areas along a river close by here. We should get together sometime and go try and get a permission or two. Much history along that river with Native American Artifacts. Many points in the grounds along the river. Let me know you can find me on FB under Kmaster (local musician). Message me and we could plan it out.
                        Last edited by Digmaster8; 04-04-2021, 04:54 PM.

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                          SurfaceHunter commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The post is from 2015 you might not get a response
                      Working...
                      X