Digging for arrowheads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digging for arrowheads?

Ok so I have been watching YouTube videos of a lot of people digging holes and finding really cool arrowheads. I was wondering how one is to figure out where to dig. Also how deep.

Hello Froggy,
    You ask some really trick questions and if I can say this in a polite way without offending you, I get the impression you like to argue or maybe a better way to put it is disagree with info or help if it goes against what you want to hear but I certainly could be wrong and if so please accept my apology.  Now back to this question.  I don't exactly agree with site digging.  In some cases maybe but I generally only look for what the tractors or God have uncovered with erosion.  There is so much controversy with digging.  First, have 100% fool proof permission to dig.  Make absolute certain you are not disturbing any burial sites.  The other problem I have with digging is you can destroy valuable information that a site has to offer to trained professionals that will be lost forever when rookies like you or I start digging.  Anyway, let me get back to advice that helps your question.  You aint gonna catch any fish fishin where there aint no fish.  In other words, you have to dig where a village or campsite was.  That's very generic advice but you have to be able to determine that first.  I hope you have good luck.  You have most likely stumbled across a site where that drilled artifact you found came from.  I would give my left lug nut to find that.
    \"Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most.\"

Comment

Before you put shovel to dirt, make damn sure it's not illegal where you live. Every State is different and a lot of them don't allow digging. The penalties are usually pretty harsh in some of those States including prison time.
      Like taxidermist01, I don't agree with digging sites for the same reasons he gave.
      Southern Connecticut

Comment

As was said (and not trying to sound too uppity), try to resist the urge to dig sites unless you have the training to properly record/analyze all the data you uncover... otherwise you will undoubtedly permanently destroy for all time potentially valuable information. Not to say that 'professionals' are always 100% on the level, but we have to do our part to preserve information for future generations. Sorry to all on my little soap box, but your question brings up probably THE biggest issue between professional and amateur archaeologists... thin ice.

Comment

I am pushing half a century in age, and have been hunting fields in Ohio since my youth. If I am going to do a dig it better be sooner than later. I recently talked to an owner of ground I have hunted since my youth and the fields there have produced probably 40% of my collection. Full of beautiful Ohio Flint. Beyond one of the fields that is the most productive on the 200 acre spread is an elevated area in the woods. Not sure that I would call it a mound, but for some reason it has remained open rather than being taken over by trees.
             Long story short the land owner has agreed to let me dig the area. And like those who mentioned in their responses, I too have mixed emotions about moving forward with the plan. As far as logging and recording the site if it is productive I will take great care in that perspective and am certain it will be equivalent to what a professional archeologist is capable of. And I know from artifacts I have found at the site this area was inhabited by the Native Americans from the Paleo culture until we arrived. There is just the "what if" factor, in this case I am not certain if it will produce anything, nor if it is a burial site. The plan is to start the dig in the fall, so I have another month or so to come to the final decision. But along with the excitement of performing my first dig is the question, is it right and do I want to do it??

Comment

If Legal and you have property owners permission, have at it! If You can try where you have found stuff before. You can probe, listen and feel through digging implement, stuff might not very deep at all. I have come to realize complete field found points are quite uncommon as farm machinery is heck on them, heck i mean! :lol:
            If you can save one before the machinery hit's it, that's good. I see no reason People can't do as they wish, after all it's a free country, well I think it is. :dunno: ...
            http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Here's how I feel on digging.If you run into Paleo stuff you might want to report it.Here in Maine it is legal with some restrictions...My feeling is Maine is one big state I feel that some of the sites I dig are well known and any information from said sites has been duplicated from all the other sites that have been professionally excavated.There are basically no fields to hunt in Maine.So most finds are either surface finds or dug.....mjm

Comment

Working...
              X