Is it illegal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it illegal?

Hi all! I'm not sure where to post this, but I'm wondering if surface hunting is illegal or not? I've been reading about it, and some articles say it is, some say no. I'm in Southern Utah, so what are the rules around here? How do you know who owns the land if no signs are posted or no fences? Any info. would be appreciated.

Im not sure what the surface hunting rules for utah are, but i can tell you that its your responsibility to know who's land you are on. Rural landowners arent required to mark their properties. If you own a gps, then they make nifty maps you can download that tell you exactly who owns it, private, blm, state, or federal.
    Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

Legal here in Tn with permission on private ground! NO state, federal, or TVA (lots of great stuff out of context just washing away) And it is your responsibility to know where those boundries are, GPS? I do NOT know any specific Utah laws; someone on here probably will though.

Comment

Originally posted by OBION View Post
        Legal here in Tn with permission on private ground! NO state, federal, or TVA (lots of great stuff out of context just washing away) And it is your responsibility to know where those boundries are, GPS? I do NOT know any specific Utah laws; someone on here probably will though.

Thanks so much! I don't understand why they wouldn't want us to pick them up and protect them. I see soooo many broken pieces from cattle, water(floods) etc. I will be searching google today for where it's ok to go. I might just stick with my Dads cabin area...private property.

Comment

Originally posted by Cskelton View Post
          Im not sure what the surface hunting rules for utah are, but i can tell you that its your responsibility to know who's land you are on. Rural landowners arent required to mark their properties. If you own a gps, then they make nifty maps you can download that tell you exactly who owns it, private, blm, state, or federal.
          I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Here in Virginia even finds on private land deemed archaeologically significant are off limits. For instance if you stumble upon a cache that has been unearthed (weather, excavating, etc.)on private land you are required to report it. Your online govt. resources will help.
            Child of the tides

Comment

Originally posted by Havenhunter View Post
              Here in Virginia even finds on private land deemed archaeologically significant are off limits. For instance if you stumble upon a cache that has been unearthed (weather, excavating, etc.)on private land you are required to report it. Your online govt. resources will help.

Thank you!

Comment

Pretty sure almost all of Utah (especially Southern) is either BLM or other federal or state land, very little privately owned. Google "Utah BLM map" and look at the images. I would imagine most of that is off limits unfortunately. Feel sorry for all the ethical collectors out West, very few places to legally hunt I suppose.
                Rick, East Central Missouri

Comment

• Hotrodmom
                  Hotrodmom commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you! I just looked it all up, pretty much all BLM. Darn it. I guess I need to go out to Missouri and search on my sissy's property.

LOTTS of awesome hunting in Missouri
                As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
                NW Arkansas

Comment

It does seem a shame that ranchers' cattle can trod all over points just lying there in the open when all you want to do is preserve them for prosperity. 😥
                  Child of the tides

Comment

Pretty much what people said. Surface hunting private land with permission is always best (well surfacing hunting land you own is probably better.)

Avoid BLM land, there are a lot of leases and open space with cattle that can look like a ranch, but the rocks are public property. Many locals get away with it, but hunting a grid and staring at the ground is pretty obvious behavior when viewed through binoculars.

Really avoid parks and wildlife preserves with rangers and dedicated staff who are actively protecting both natural and cultural resources.
                    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Working...
                    X