Oklahoma arrowhead hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oklahoma arrowhead hunting?

I am about to head West to visit the in-laws....... I think I might have to get out of the house for a while.... So maybe an arrowhead hunt is in order. Problem is, I dont know where to go. I will be staying in Northern Grady County, OK and cant travel for hours. But there has to be a place near by. Does anyone have any suggestions?????? PLEASE!!!!!

I'm sorry, I get a chuckle at posts like these.  Asking an arrowhead hunter to turn someone else onto one of their spots is the lateral equivalent to asking them if you can borrow their girlfriend..or worse yet, their truck.
      ETA: I'm talking about a seasoned artifact hunter giving up a spot.  New hunters will often not only give you GPS coordinates, they'll pick em up for you if you ask nicely.  :laugh:

Comment

^ so very true..
      People always ask me how I find relics or where I find them.. I tell them how to find them, but where? "around." haha
      Ask a farmer for permission, stay off his plants, and try your luck? Like anywhere..
      I can't help you, never been to OK, but would love to give it a try too. If it were me I would try a major waterway first, if there is one. The relics could be picked over, but they can't pick them all up. Then look for flaking.

Comment

Kind of like...Where did you catch all them fish?  In the mouth!  Really though Google Earth the area and go from there!

Comment

^ haha.. show a man how to fish, but don't show him where the fish are!

Comment

NEANDERTHAL------ :angry:
            I didn't post that question for people like you.  I posted it for those that have a spot they would suggest.  I wasn't asking for a "top secret spot", or even one that you still visit and hunt.  Most of us have an area that we know holds artifacts.  But for one reason or another, we dont hunt that area anymore.  Could be that we have moved on to places with rare items or have moved out of the area. It could be a number of reasons that we dont hunt the site anymore.  Mine is that I'm military and tend to move right when I have all my areas mapped out.  I know good spots are often "top secret" and I have a few of those myself.  But I also know areas where I dont hunt anymore.  I would be willing to share those areas. But I'm not an A$$h@lE.  I was simply asking for a place to take my son and hopefuly find something he thinks is cool.  Just general info on the area would be great. Maybe something to look for on a topo or something. So please move on next time you come across a newbie asking for help.  None of us need to be talked down to or made to feel like we shouldn't be a part of this hobby because we are new.  The metal detecting community is not rude or unwilling to help.  Why is it that the indian artifact community seems to hate those trying to get into the hobby?  Or is it just Neanderthal?

Comment

Hey Dirty, don't listen to these grumpy old men.  Best place in Oklahoma to find relics is the Arkansas River (imho).  Just got back from places you *shouldn't* go to (Salt Fork of Red River, Elm Fork of Red River, Canadian and North Canadian River  (boycott Canada!).  Even the Washita River, it's a hot sludge trough...   mostly all sand and very few gravel bars in the rivers down south.  They get all the runoff from the *GOOD* spots   But that's RIVER HUNTING... you know, if you just wanna get out and poke around without getting shot at.
              Try to get on a farmer's good side though and find a plow share next to a river, hit it after a hard rain (wear old shoes) and look for anything shiny with ridges.
              Best of luck to you my friend and happy hunting!

Comment

Thanks Z,
                Thats the kind of info I like.  I'm used to TX hill country and now AR where bluffs and creeks are common.  But central OK is flat and the creeks and rivers are one big mud pit.  I might just walk the better creeks.  But pulling a 7 yr old out of the mud is no fun!  Ok, its funny to watch. Buts thats it...

Comment

By the way.  The main kind of tool material you'll find in the Arkansas is Florence-A pink  (also known as Kay County chert).  It's pink because ancient Native Americans heat treated it to make it easier to work with which caused it to change at a molecular level.  It will have "whorls and swirls" like a fingerprint.  You'll find flakes all over the place and from time to time a tool or even a point.  My girlfriend found her first flake the other day.. (other than me).
                  Give it a shot and let us know what you find!

Comment

That is great lookin material.  We wont be that far north in OK.  But I might have to make a special trip some time.  Thanks for the info!

Comment

Good info Noah, I just keep my eyes on the ground where the surface is clear. Maybe a few exploratory hikes are in order. Thanks for your service DD, what branch ?
                      Butch

Comment

I'm Air Force.  It sucks but its a job. LOL.  I have done some things that I'm Proud to have been a part of.  Now I have to learn AR and how to explore this state.

Comment

See what I mean?  My point is proven..HA!

Comment

To begin with, just wade around in the creeks, ANY creek with a gravel bar or two on inside turns of the creek.  Then eyeball high areas above the creek where any farming is taking place, you know.....plowed bare dirt ?  In that part of the country, you are always standing right on top of a nice piece, or nearly so.  Just a matter of how deep it is and how nearly so....... If you find plowed dirt, a nice creek, and a good freshwater spring nearby, take your time and sniff real close......

Comment

Thanks Ralph, maybe I'll get lucky.  There is a creek that runs due East of where we will be.  I believe it isn't hard to access and runs to a river about 5 miles north. I will start thier.  But maybe this is a dumb question.  All the rivers and creeks in the area are mud bottoms.  Would this be a good water source?  IDK? Did they boil the water, have bellies of steel, just not care?? Or is the water alot darker due to the farming and all that we do to the land now???????

Comment

Working...
                              X