X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to find spot's to look for Arrowheads

WE NEED SOME FRESH IDEAS! Any?

http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Well I never find arrowheads they find me.every time I look for them I dont find one it seems when my mind is blank is when they find me.

Comment

Creeks merge/fork.
      High bluff next to water. Dead or dying spring head.
      Could be overgrown. Swamps for paleos.
      Did I mention next to water.

Comment

Search the internet for known sites in your area. Use google satellite to explore the area. Figure out the hunting trails/paths coming and going from the sites, usually along waterways. explore the nearby fields and creeks. Think like a hungry indian.

Comment

Walk and walk and walk some more!!! I tend to cover a lot of ground and find artifacts in small bunches here and there , got to put in the time if you are to be rewarded!

Comment

Think survival. If it is hot a person can die from dehydration in two days. Water is key! I always looked for places where there was two water sources. Better if there is a high knoll nearby so they could be up off the flood stage areas but still close to water. Think plants too. I dug on a site where Jerusalem artichokes grew wild in Summer time. Some folks call them sun chokes. They aint an artichoke at all. About four feet tall and look like big yellow daisies. They blossom late summer into early fall. They have a edible tuber in the root system. Blackberries grow year in and year out. Dude we found berries growing near many a rock shelter. Indians lived a life of feast or famine if they were hungry and found a blackberry patch they would gorge on them. Then once settled in for the night those pangs would come and they would go and purge all of the fruit, seeds and all, already fertilized. You might think this stuff sounds crazy but berry patches have stood in the same locations for thousands of years. Same with those sun chokes I am positive they were cultivating them on on that site I used to dig on. That site was high up off the river with just three very small springs for fresh water. Exposure to the sun is a good thing too. If a shelter faces east or south it is better them west and north. Not a deal breaker but the sun greeting you in the morning feels good if you live out doors. Think resources too Josh. Any good flint quarries near you. Some may be protected or on state land but looking near there is a good idea too.

I like what was said about google maps too. I would zoom in and look for roads named after Indian tribes or roads named arrowhead lane, Indian Trail, or war path road.. Then zoom out and look for farms with water sources near that road. Then go knock on a door. It can help narrow your search.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I don't know of any flint quarries in my area. There are hillsides with rock exposed here and there but none that i have access to.

Would be neat to know how to locate good flint nearby.

Comment

They say Chert is as common as dirt in Missouri Josh. check out the maps and links on this page man http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/top...t#.Vsvj_vkrKUl
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• chuckles
                  chuckles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey I'm from knoxville Tennessee and I need to find places to look for arrowheads near and around knoxville

Hoss, I always wondered about this persimmon tree patch on the edge of "clovis field" seems that corner of the field always had quite a bit of artifacts in it, and i mean from paleo to mississippian.

I have just never found much good material hanging out of a hillside, but my aunt lives at a creek that has quite a bit of the good crescent burlington.

Thanks though.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
                  Think survival. If it is hot a person can die from dehydration in two days. Water is key! I always looked for places where there was two water sources. Better if there is a high knoll nearby so they could be up off the flood stage areas but still close to water. Think plants too. I dug on a site where Jerusalem artichokes grew wild in Summer time. Some folks call them sun chokes. They aint an artichoke at all. About four feet tall and look like big yellow daisies. They blossom late summer into early fall. They have a edible tuber in the root system. Blackberries grow year in and year out. Dude we found berries growing near many a rock shelter. Indians lived a life of feast or famine if they were hungry and found a blackberry patch they would gorge on them. Then once settled in for the night those pangs would come and they would go and purge all of the fruit, seeds and all, already fertilized. You might think this stuff sounds crazy but berry patches have stood in the same locations for thousands of years. Same with those sun chokes I am positive they were cultivating them on on that site I used to dig on. That site was high up off the river with just three very small springs for fresh water. Exposure to the sun is a good thing too. If a shelter faces east or south it is better them west and north. Not a deal breaker but the sun greeting you in the morning feels good if you live out doors. Think resources too Josh. Any good flint quarries near you. Some may be protected or on state land but looking near there is a good idea too.

I like what was said about google maps too. I would zoom in and look for roads named after Indian tribes or roads named arrowhead lane, Indian Trail, or war path road.. Then zoom out and look for farms with water sources near that road. Then go knock on a door. It can help narrow your search.

You know, the first place I started hunting was on forest paths, and there are a couple spots where blueberries and raspberries are growing. So I suppose I could assume there was activity very close to these areas in particular?

Along with the shell middens it's pretty fascinating how the remnants of the past are right there for you to see even after all that time has passed.

Comment

OMG there is a site

Arrowhead Hunting find indian camps become an expert artifact hunter free online guide. 258 page book Arrowhead Adventures by William Bauer, indian artifact hunter.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
                      Ron Kelley commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hey Bill, That's an interesting site and will be a good one to share.

Visited the site you mentioned above and saw Obion's awesome Lost Lake. Why didn't I think to write a book about how to find arrowheads? I wonder how many copies have been sold.
                    Last edited by CoachG; 02-27-2016, 07:13 PM.

Comment

that did`nt take long

Comment

• CoachG
                        CoachG commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Meaning?

Originally posted by CoachG View Post
                      Meaning?
                      I guess I mean getting that completely out there in a short time.
                      Good job!

Comment

I located a site through an internet search. Then I used google satellite to check out the terrain. I walked the creek near the site until it came to a high bluff overlooking the creek and the floodplain. I thought to myself this would be a great spot to wait for animals to come to the creek below for a drink and take a shot at them with bow and arrow or spear. I looked down at the ground exactly at that spot and found a hammerstone and spall. Next time I get out there I need to dig around the ground creekside because something tells me alot of spear tips and points were shot at that spot over many years. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                        X