I'm hooked. Can anyone reccomend any places in CT,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm hooked. Can anyone reccomend any places in CT,

I am so hooked. Can anyone reccomend legal places to look in CT? I will be in Ashford for the second week of August with the boyscouts and would love to look up there. I live in Manchester, and am willing to drive a small distance. Any Suggestions?

Look for water runoffs and at banks of streams or rivers if it is a rual area nobody will know what you are looking for.

Comment

thanks. I have met so many people today, I expect to be looking legally on private property tomorrow. This whole website rocks.

Comment

Google Earth is a good tool. You can use it to look for cultivated fields located near fresh water.  After heavy washing rains, such fields will usually have campsites, etc.
        You're not far from the Connecticut River.  A quick look on Google earth showed cultivated fields bordering the river west of Manchester. It also showed lots of fields in Eastford, 3 mi. NE of Ashford, but I don't know if any are cultivated fields, and if there are such they'd probably be thick with crops in August.  You could probably get ideas from the folks at this link.  But Chris from Ct. didn't have any luck hearing back from them.  At least one member of this society is also a forum member, but he doesn't post here much.
        This domain name is available, own it today. Affordable payment options. Fast and professional service.

Charlie
        P.S. Here's Mud and Mucks membership page, which I couldn't find on the above link. Several of the members have contact info listed.  Reason I'm suggesting these folks is because the easiest way to get a running start is to find experienced hunters willing to help.  Nothing beats experience, having mentor(s) makes a huge differance.
        This domain name is available, own it today. Affordable payment options. Fast and professional service.

Rhode Island

Comment

Great advice Charlie, Shannons, give Mud and Muck a try, I did get a reply initially and thought I had slipped through the cracks but never heard from them again even after two more e-mails with pictures of a couple of points to show I was serious.....maybe I was located too far away from them???.....not that this State is big or anything....don't know, good luck to you, I hope you find someone in your area......I don't get up there, like....ever.....look for cultivated land like CMD stated, great place to start.
          Southern Connecticut

Comment

Especially this time of year on the cultivated land. Spring and early summer are best and if your young one is wanting this and you have time take him. I have found stuff in places no one ever thought. I was shoveling snow once and the local folks would get the sand for the roads out of the Housatonic. The sand spreader gave me a broken stem base in the dead of Winter while digging out the end of my driveway, It was laying on top of the snowbank.
            When you get out into rural areas look for Roads named Arrowhead Lane or Wampum Lane and the like usually if there is farm land nearby and a water source it can cut down on a lot of driving. If my knee was in better shape i would offer to meet with you and Chris and spend some time looking in your side of the state.
            I have found that getting permission is easier if you just strike a conversation off subject. If they sell plants and you can afford it buy one and then mention this would be a good place to look for arrowheads and you would just let it flow from there. They usually don't care about the arrowheads and want you to come back and buy more plants so it might just be the best ten bucks you spend on a plant. I have found that just coming out with I collect arrowheads can I look on your property isn't the best approach. You can also just say something like I am new at gardening and I have a question may I ask you something. Then ask about plants and then gently put in the conversation. I was digging the garden the other day and I cam across an arrowhead. If they have them on their property they might just say "we find them here too over on the back forty!" Or you can add have you ever found anything like tat around here. They might not but they might have a neighbor who does.
            Cuts down on a lot of time looking at plowed dirt that don't produce!
            Good luck to you I like what you said about getting permission it is the best way to go about this. Your town may also have Open Space sometimes a farmer will allow town folk to walk on their property and give the right of way to the town in lieu of taxes. That is another great way to find places to look. I used to have a plowed field in my home town but they have gone over to hay. Corn fields are best. They turn them annually and plow it up chunk style then they come back for round two and harrow. A rainstorm after each of these process will produce points. You will be finding stuff in no time at all.
            Good luck Shannon
            Your friend in flint
            Matt
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Yo man, I'll push your wheel chair!.....ya better get one with a three point harness though.
              Southern Connecticut

Comment

I am overhelmed, in a fantastic way, with the information provided by you all. And to Cgode, I am not in need of a wheelchair yet. I see Clinton is next to Westbrook, by the Sound. I'm an Elk and have been dying to see the Westbrook Lodge, maybe sometime you could meet me for a Soda (or heavier) and give my son and I some local knowledge. My Family is from Mystick.  This website is so well designed, I'd love to have a 'like' button though!

Comment

Any time Shannons, I'll have a soda as well!
                  The wheelchair is for Hoss with his bad knee!!!.....lol......I'm not pushin both of ya! :laugh:
                  Southern Connecticut

Comment

Working...
                  X