Screens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screens

Anybody do any screening or have pictures of screens?
    One of my favorite fields the farmer pushed off the topsoil so he could mine the sand. Has given me permission to screen the piles. Looking for a basic rig I can set up and take down, have an idea but looking for a few tips.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Never seen one yet but I was told I could do some in the fall at someones home on the Etowah river in the fall. Looking forward to it forsure.

Comment

That is an easy build with 1X4 clear pine.  and a closet pole. Some 3/8" hardware cloth. two 3/8 two and a half in bolts some lock nuts and plastic washers.
      They sell these for a lot of money I bet material at HD or Lowes is probably around 35 bucks.
      If your handy there you go.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I built mine out of an old metal framed card table. I took and build a wooden frame 4x4 and mounted it with 1/4 wire and mounted it on top of the frame. This gave me folding legs and something that stood up high enough that I wasn't bent over the whole time. I just leave it down at my site. I'll try and take pictures next time I am down there.

Comment

Thanks Matt and Chris! The link to the archy site, nice and enough detail there to build from so I plan on being handy and will save a bunch. Probably do 4 legs though so you don't have to bend over and pick it up constantly.
          Really like your idea Chris, folding card table has to be darn near perfect. Stands up yet wobbly enough to shake without collapsing and portable. Found that we have one, but the wife said, " no way".

Comment

If you set enough beers on that card table, it should eventually rot it out and you'll have your frame!!! LOL

Comment

There you go! But please don't share your idea with the wife, will just let her think it was an unfortunate occurance.

Comment

Yes Indeed Chris never thought of the old card table. That is a banner idea might have to hunt one down at a garage sale!!! Thanks for the tip!!-Bill

Comment

I like the one with the legs in the front. You can really shake that thing and it is lighter and built with less material.
                  Good luck
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I remember something that deals with gold panning I believe it was called a rocker box or shaker box.  I'll try to find a link!

Comment

Comment

You can google rocker box to get a better idea I just post the link to give you a visual.  Might save your back!  Still have to get the material in there though.  That's where a buddy comes to help!  Let me know how it goes!

Comment

Thanks Dan, although I would have to scale that way back to be able to get it in and out of the pickup! But worth considering.

Comment

I've always wanted to screen for artifacts, I've thought about making one. Then yesterday I found something that works pretty good. I found a plastic silverware holder that goes in the dishwasher. It's small and basic but it's works. It was just laying by the side of the road.

Comment

Working...
                            X