Chips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chips

I got out for my first real hunt in near 40 years yesterday.Sad to say,no points.I did pick up a couple of handfuls of chips and rocks to clean up and look at.Can someone tell me the best way to tell if chips are natural or from making points?I'm looking on a ridge in between a river and creek,about a 1/4 mile before they meet,the ridge is about a 1/2 mile wide at that point.I'm looking in the creek and around it and up on a shelf area above the creek and near the top of the ridge.Any other tips would be great too.Thanks!

Sounds like a very good spot, post some pics of the chips, flakes and you'll get some input.
    First time in 40 years! Never to late to restart a hobby!
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

A tip I go by is if I don't find anything is better luck next time. Bob, maybe try taking a few scenic drives out there near some farms and asking if You can take a look in any field's that catch you're eye. Check out the hi spots and ditches and keep track of where the chips are coming from. Always best to have a snack and to stay hydrated so You can spend a couple or few hours out looking.
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Originally posted by gregszybala View Post
        Sounds like a very good spot, post some pics of the chips, flakes and you'll get some input.
        First time in 40 years! Never to late to restart a hobby!
        ​I hope not.lol!I've always kind of looked when on a river or creek bank,but this is the first time I went somewhere just to look for them,and spend some real time doing it since I was a kid.Soon as I figure out this picture stuff,I'll take some and post them.I haven't posted a picture on line in many years,and only did it a few times then,so I hope I can figure it out in the next day or so.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshinMO View Post
          A tip I go by is if I don't find anything is better luck next time. Bob, maybe try taking a few scenic drives out there near some farms and asking if You can take a look in any field's that catch you're eye. Check out the hi spots and ditches and keep track of where the chips are coming from. Always best to have a snack and to stay hydrated so You can spend a couple or few hours out looking.
          Thanks,will do.I figured the water one out yesterday,the hard way.lol!I was out for about 3 1/2 hours,and was really thirsty by time I got back to the truck.I had half a bottle of water in the truck but it was hot as you no what from being in the sun.I was driving down the road holding it in front of the AC vent to cool it off.lol!

Comment

Now when I am looking for chips I prefer the sour cream and onion variety water vs gatorade always need a little sodium when sweating big help. Now my rocks need to be pointy and some need to have notches. not to be confused with notcho cheese which is messy when hunting artifacts. Hope those tips help. your in a great area for artifacts and its just a matter of time now before your going to have to learn how to post pic's of those great finds.
            Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Good advice there, chips lead to points!
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Hey Bob, To answer your question: When a flake is removed with a hammer stone it leaves a "Bulb of Percussion" on the flake (See Photo 1). On some flakes the bulb is more obvious than on others. Look at the edge of the flake and turn it to get the best look at the bulb. The bulb will be in the shape of a bell curve. If a flake has pressure flaking on the edge that's a good sign that it has been worked by ancient man (See Photo 2).
                Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Arkose Sandstone Flake--Bulb of Percussion b.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	222641 Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Flake Knives Front.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	222642
                Michigan Yooper
                If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• sailorjoe
                  sailorjoe commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the good info and for showing us some beautiful uniface tools.

Originally posted by chase View Post
                Now when I am looking for chips I prefer the sour cream and onion variety water vs gatorade always need a little sodium when sweating big help. Now my rocks need to be pointy and some need to have notches. not to be confused with notcho cheese which is messy when hunting artifacts. Hope those tips help. your in a great area for artifacts and its just a matter of time now before your going to have to learn how to post pic's of those great finds.
                ​Thanks for the tips.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Kelley View Post
                  Hey Bob, To answer your question: When a flake is removed with a hammer stone it leaves a "Bulb of Percussion" on the flake (See Photo 1). On some flakes the bulb is more obvious than on others. Look at the edge of the flake and turn it to get the best look at the bulb. The bulb will be in the shape of a bell curve. If a flake has pressure flaking on the edge that's a good sign that it has been worked by ancient man (See Photo 2).
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]n222641[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n222642[/ATTACH]
                  Thanks for the tips and pictures.I was hoping to have figure out how to get some pictures posted by now,maybe tomorrow.The stuff I found is not as good as what you have.Most of what I foud is smaller flakes.A few look like they may have tool markings,but I'm not sure.I did find a small piece of some type of pottery,but not sure how old it is.Thanks agin everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by bobbss View Post
                    Thanks for the tips and pictures.I was hoping to have figure out how to get some pictures posted by now,maybe tomorrow.The stuff I found is not as good as what you have.Most of what I foud is smaller flakes.A few look like they may have tool markings,but I'm not sure.I did find a small piece of some type of pottery,but not sure how old it is.Thanks agin everyone!
                    There's a tutorial on adding pictures to your posts here:

THE BEST (BUT NOT THE ONLY) WAY TO POST PICTURES [see important note for tablet and smartphone users at the bottom] Start a new thread by clicking on the "NEW

Better to post your finds in a new thread in "What Did I Find?" rather than here in the tips and advice section.
                    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Originally posted by painshill View Post

There's a tutorial on adding pictures to your posts here:

THE BEST (BUT NOT THE ONLY) WAY TO POST PICTURES [see important note for tablet and smartphone users at the bottom] Start a new thread by clicking on the "NEW

Better to post your finds in a new thread in "What Did I Find?" rather than here in the tips and advice section.
                      Thanks,I finally got some pictures down loaded to my computer from my phone and tried to start the new thread but couldn't get it to work.I'll have to try agin tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                      X