No announcement yet.

Camps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's always a good idea to try and find new campsites. It provides some variety, and places to hunt when you can't hunt your favorites.
    South Dakota

Comment

Search your old state and county history books, some of them will actually have maps of where native sites and settlements were as well as any mounds in those areas. Find maps of where creeks and rivers ran before they were channelled. These will be available in most places through your local corps of engineers or drainage authority. There are also maps of the flow of rivers through history them at are available. Like most of these guys, I've found that camps follow along ridges, rises, and bluffs that overlook a creek, river or swamp. I like to look on Google maps for differences in soil color and places where vegetation changes suddenly and then changes back. There are general rules but your local terrain will add variables. Any info that your local colleges have will help put you in a general area that you can expand from with the help of topo maps and general guidelines. Good luck!

Comment

I like Joshes idea . I think there is something to do with the
        altitude . Now I know for me it’s getting away from clay and being in a sandy area that doesn’t hold water either .
        Yes next to creeks etc . Nice map film . I have a book
        like that that maps my area in Georgia for Paleo finds .

Comment

Working...
        X