No announcement yet.

Collecting Chips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sitting here laughing because on any beach four tidal changes in 24 hrs pretty much scours the sand clean of all but the biggest, heaviest pieces so I'm lucky if I find an intact artifact, much less bits & pieces.
    Child of the tides

Comment

I pick it all up, as it all tells a tale. From Lithic use and transportation, manufacturing techniques of flake tools and points, lifestyle of the ppls who left them there, and so much more, A lot can be learned from those flakes. Like the other members have already stated, it is important to keep them site separated and logged if possible.

Comment

Deb , at least you found somthing .
        we all know my chip or flake story . I just love them all the differnt lithics in Georgia . Beautiful jaspers to the colorful
        heat treated cherts.
        Andy I to like to look at each one and see the pressure flaking to the big spalls left behind .

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	point18.jpg Views:	1 Size:	57.5 KB ID:	312677It's been a while since I've posted anything, probably because it's been a while since I've found much.lol!I've been getting out a little here the last few weeks.I thought I'd post a picture of this one here because when I picked it up I just thought I was cleaning up some chips. I was really happy to find it but would of been much happier if it wasn't broken. lol! I found this one in my Jefferson County Mo. site.
          Last edited by bobbss; 08-09-2018, 11:02 PM.

Comment

long time no see congrats on the find.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Bob congrats and yes I pick up every chip . I take them back to study them . To my delight I have found beautiful secondary flaking with a magnifying glass or lamp . My best tools and flake knives have been identified this way . The flakes in Georgia are beautiful . If I had the eyes I did at 14 I would be able to see that paleo flaking or flake tools on the site . Not now .

Comment

Thanks Hoss and Tam! Tam, I hear you about the eyes, I have to wear reading glasses just to hunt, let alone see any details.lol! Tam, those are some pretty flakes, most of what I find is white with a little pink, red and gray mixed in. I've got a little more stuff I found, that I need to get cleaned up and take pictures of so I can post them.May not be that great of stuff but I was happy to find them.

Comment

Working...
                X