No announcement yet.

Collecting Chips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sitting here laughing because on any beach four tidal changes in 24 hrs pretty much scours the sand clean of all but the biggest, heaviest pieces so I'm lucky if I find an intact artifact, much less bits & pieces.
    Child of the tides

Comment

I pick it all up, as it all tells a tale. From Lithic use and transportation, manufacturing techniques of flake tools and points, lifestyle of the ppls who left them there, and so much more, A lot can be learned from those flakes. Like the other members have already stated, it is important to keep them site separated and logged if possible.

Comment

Deb , at least you found somthing .
        we all know my chip or flake story . I just love them all the differnt lithics in Georgia . Beautiful jaspers to the colorful
        heat treated cherts.
        Andy I to like to look at each one and see the pressure flaking to the big spalls left behind .

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	point18.jpg Views:	1 Size:	57.5 KB ID:	312677It's been a while since I've posted anything, probably because it's been a while since I've found much.lol!I've been getting out a little here the last few weeks.I thought I'd post a picture of this one here because when I picked it up I just thought I was cleaning up some chips. I was really happy to find it but would of been much happier if it wasn't broken. lol! I found this one in my Jefferson County Mo. site.
          Last edited by bobbss; 08-09-2018, 11:02 PM.

Comment

long time no see congrats on the find.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Bob congrats and yes I pick up every chip . I take them back to study them . To my delight I have found beautiful secondary flaking with a magnifying glass or lamp . My best tools and flake knives have been identified this way . The flakes in Georgia are beautiful . If I had the eyes I did at 14 I would be able to see that paleo flaking or flake tools on the site . Not now .

Comment

Thanks Hoss and Tam! Tam, I hear you about the eyes, I have to wear reading glasses just to hunt, let alone see any details.lol! Tam, those are some pretty flakes, most of what I find is white with a little pink, red and gray mixed in. I've got a little more stuff I found, that I need to get cleaned up and take pictures of so I can post them.May not be that great of stuff but I was happy to find them.

Comment

I too agree with the answers posted. It depends on where im hunting, and what type of hinting. If im surface hunting new area, I'll keep most chips i find to be later examined and possibly kept as site samples. If im not familiar with the area enough to remember where the main concentration was, and most likely tje site, I'll mark it with a couple chips so i can find it again, or with something else nearby that ill recognize like stump, rock, arrangement of sticks, or something not too obvious, if i beleive others may be hunting in the area. I used to keep all chips, but we rock hounds know what our homes, patios, flower beds, yards, and even neighboring properties begun to look like, lol. Cooli think, but some tend not to agree.
                  However i do keep pkeces that look to be a piece of an artifact. Also if im not sure, or it looks like a possible piece, i keep it for further examination, or for comparison to brokes if it comes from a regular site of mine. Brings me to a subject or tip that i wanted to share, Always keep your Brokes......
                  If im at a site that i dig, i always have my xhip bag, and make a "discard hole" right next to my hole, that way i can bury them and return them to nature when i backfill.
                  The idea is to decide what method fits your needs, and applys to the type of hunting, or place or type of site you are hunting, that works best for you. I used to, and im sure most hunters when they were new used to keep all chips. I do have some glass vases and glass jars with colorful chips, for pure decoration. I also want to find one of those big glass lamps that you can open up and fill with seashells, and fill with colorful chips, worked chips, and brokes. I think that would be really cool. I also have fee more ideas, but i can't give em all away... haha.

Comment

Working...
                  X