Looking for helpful advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for helpful advise

I just got a few question I'm hoping to get advise to I only been searching for arrowheads for about a year and been trying to teach myself ok well first thing is I found this campsite on my property and wanted to know what do I look for to try and find the best location on the camp for arrowheads. Second thing how can I find out what type of points do I have and I find alot of shape up iron ore rocks that looks like it was used for something but I have no clue just know what a arrowhead looks like and the third how can I found out what kind of native americans live there what era were they. Any type of advice would be very helpful

I don't know in what region you're living, or whether you are planning on surface hunting or digging on your property. But, I can at least refer you to one of the better online typology guides. You can select the state you live in, and take it from there. So, if you really don't know what a point looks like, assuming you have so far not actually found any, this guide may help. You can also start threads in the "what did I find?" section and members may be able to help you that way....

Rhode Island

Comment

I have a ton of points it all the other rocks I can figure out if there anything and the points o do have I can't figure out how to identify them and I live in northern Alabama

Comment

I'm just trying to learn all I can about this I am really starting to love this hobby and very passionate about it sorry if I'm asking to many question that might sound dumb

Comment

• Havenhunter
          Havenhunter commented
          Editing a comment
          No dumb questions here. We're all hooked on the subject of NA artifacts, but folks here also share of love for fossils, geology, history, flint knapping, old bottles, metal detecting-- anything old Mother Earth throws us or hides from us. Ask away.

Originally posted by Jfinch31 View Post
        I'm just trying to learn all I can about this I am really starting to love this hobby and very passionate about it sorry if I'm asking to many question that might sound dumb
        There are no dumb questions. You have to start somewhere, like all the rest of us. Here's the Alabama section from the link I posted....

Rhode Island

Comment

Thank y'all so very helpful

Comment

You want to look up your points in this link if you are in Alabama then this is the best resource for you. http://www.gutenberg.org/files/39974...-h/39974-h.htm You can also show us some pictures of what you find and ask questions. Sometimes a rock is just a cool rock. Sometimes it is more than that. We are happy to try and help.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

welcome to AH.com

the only dumb question is the question that is never asked
              so feel free to ask any questions you have
              folks on this site are very knowledgable about artifacts and fossils etc

Comment

First I'd like to start off by welcoming you. If you get looking around on that campsite, and you notice little chipped pieces of rock, you know you are likely on the right track. Native Americans left many chips of rock with each arrowhead they made. Find these, and you may find an arrowhead. Go after a heavy rain, sometimes water erodes dirt and exposes artifacts. I hope you find some awesome things!
                If both artifact and hunter lie idle, they will not meet.

Comment

SO why did you name your new post the same name as this post? If you are looking for helpful advice you only need to ask once. If you other posts is a different question we are glad to try and help but name the topic something else so it does not confuse the other members.
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I'm sorry hoss still trying to get use to this won't happen again

Comment

Spend some time reading through other posts in this section, The one this is posted in, Artifact hunting tips and Advice. Loads of advice and shared experience from many artifact hunters across the country. And good luck.
                      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Tell ya what Jfinch. Before I joined this site and started seeing just how many artifacts there are that are not just points (scrapers, pecking stones, preforms etc...) there is no telling just how many thing that I walked right by in my 30 years of searching. I also had no idea just how old some of my finds were. I fell into a new world. One that consumes you. There is so much to learn about this hobby all the time and I think all would agree on that...happy hunting my friend...
                        The chase is better than the catch...
                        I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Thank y'all

Comment

Working...
                          X