looking for creeks to hunt in WWV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for creeks to hunt in WWV

I live in Barboursville, WV and am new to hunting arrowheads. Been hunting sharks teeth on eastern seaboard in creeks and love it. Found my first point in NC and know there are ones in WV. I just need an area to look. Any help is appreciated. Would love to do a father son hunt with my boy on Fathers day tomorrow if anyone I sees this tonight. have shovels and sifters if those are needed. thanks
    Doug

Welcome Doug and good luck in your future artifact hunts. You won;t get much specific help, us collectors like to keep our locations to ourselves. You will get a lot of help and suggestions though and if you click on this link: https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...ing-tips-gc144 , you'll find a lot of helpful tips. This is the same area you posted this question in. Remember, keep it legal and with permission. Good luck.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Guess it's different for teeth hunting. We enjoy the hunt. Only a few hold onto their creeks. Some enjoy hunting with others. I have ran into several people that have taken me to places in NC and SC and FL. It's about enjoying the hunt and the thrill of someone finding a great one. Even had people give up spots for me to try in Va Maryland and Ga. I am not trying to step on toes just want to get an idea of a location that we may find a couple. West Virginia is my home but I have to travel 6 hours or more to find teeth. Just would like to find somewhere close to try arrowheads. Thx

Comment

Originally posted by af1ref View Post
        Guess it's different for teeth hunting. We enjoy the hunt. Only a few hold onto their creeks. Some enjoy hunting with others. I have ran into several people that have taken me to places in NC and SC and FL. It's about enjoying the hunt and the thrill of someone finding a great one. Even had people give up spots for me to try in Va Maryland and Ga. I am not trying to step on toes just want to get an idea of a location that we may find a couple. West Virginia is my home but I have to travel 6 hours or more to find teeth. Just would like to find somewhere close to try arrowheads. Thx
        Not really different, we enjoy the hunt and many members probably share there hunting holes with other trusted friends and enjoy them together. We like to find great ones too. We also like to learn about the past and understand those who came before us, its a hunt of information as much as it is a hunt for artifacts.

The deal is people aren't fond of sharing precise locations over the www so ANYONE out there can know. I couldn't imagine that its any different with teeth collecting either.

Yes if you came in and hung around as an active contributing member while making friends, I'm sure there's a possibility someone would say "come on down my way, I've got a great spot!"... May not happen but its a possibillity. Most people who hunt creeks just go till they find an area that produces. Sometimes or maybe most of the times you get dry runs. That's just artifact hunting.

As Greg mentioned there are plenty of tips and advise you can find on this site for finding those creeks. Just have to take the time to read and learn from those who have been nice enough to share what they've learned.

Take those boys out to the creek and give it a go, you may find some, you never know till you try. Good luck!

Ps Welcome to AH.Com!
        Last edited by Kyflintguy; 06-18-2017, 11:47 AM.
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Josh thx for your reply. We will see what we can do. Just didn't want to go looking for stuff that isn't there. Certain areas are good and others there are none. Same in teeth hunting. I wouldn't look in WV for sharks teeth because that area has never been under ocean. Just trying to figure out what areas near me were hunted areas that could possibly produce. The rest is the hunt

Comment

• Kyflintguy
            Kyflintguy commented
            Editing a comment
            Well lucky for you there isn't a county in Wv were artifacts can't be found. Even folks who hunt good creeks have mediocre or skunk days. There is no specific formula although there are ways to improve your odds with research and learning the tips that many "pros" have left in older threads on this site. id say your odds are good though. Take pics!

Not trying to be secretive but like Kyflintguy said over the web and not knowing you will create great reluctance in sharing locations. But if your ever in NW Indiana, you have a place to hunt .
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

thx Greg. I;m never in NW Indy, but thx for the offer. Need to try somewhere close for a change. We have a tooth hunt planned for next month that goes from NC, SC, Ga and Fl including diving in FL. Maybe we will get lucky and find somewhere to hunt here. I only have my son every other week so planning trips is only part time and hoping for good weather. My family changed our hunt plans today with a cookout so my son will have to wait a couple weeks now before we can try again

Comment

Good luck in your hunting. One quick tip. Find a spot where two creeks join together. That seems to increase the odds.
              South Dakota

Comment

ok thx Gary. Ill try that

Comment

That's the trick is what Gary said . I am new to streams to . Don't laugh but look up the ditchwalker on utube . That guy goes to some indisirable creeks sometimes but boy he knows his stuff .
                  If anything you wil get a kick out of him .

Comment

Some of the better known WV hunters like Senaca Relics give their favorite sites pseudonyms just to protect their source. As soon as others triangulate on their locations, the 4 wheelers arrive, stirring up the bottom & digging up the gravel bars.
                    Remember many mountain streams are on private lands & other hunters may not be at liberty to invite you along.
                    Child of the tides

Comment

Pocatalico river valley from where it meets the kanawha river and up the valley.

Comment

• Worldman304
                        Worldman304 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I agree I'm from the Charleston area and grew up the pocatalico, always find stuff don't matter if it's ridge top or near the river. While area is great.rem kanawha black flint of chert was quarried there ling history of travel thr then ancient teays valley

• AndyinMO
                        AndyinMO commented
                        Editing a comment
                        What's up worldman! This is your buddy from the Kik group. Sorry for telling folks about your territory, lol.

Lol its all good. I'm trying to get some help, u know me man I research n research way before i post on here.and I'm a Lil disappointed a bit.ima have to do something w my pics,rhey sent doing justice, plus I need local people's help.if I have an isolated group..hows your day going..

Comment

Working...
                      X