Need help finding my first point!! South Dakota/Wyoming/Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help finding my first point!! South Dakota/Wyoming/Colorado

Looking for help finding my first point!!! I'm an avid agate collector that lives in Custer South Dakota. As I kid I always wanted to find an arrowhead, but never did. Lost that love and switched it for agates! Have just recently rekindled the passion for artifact collecting. Someone plz help put me on the right path!! I'm not against driving to find them! So anybody that would be willing to put me on to areas in the south west South Dakota/north eastern Wyoming area all the way down to northern Colorado area is within reach. With my agate hunting experience I am quite good at surface collecting. And I do know the general tips on arrowhead collecting, I was just hoping someone on here would be willing to narrow my search a bit and point me in a general area. Thanks in advance!

Being up here in Canada I am no help, however I can say welcome to the forum and good luck.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

welcome to AH.com PM me
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Welcome. Chase may be your best contact for site assistance. Not aware of folks who live in your immediate area on this forum but you live in an artifact rich area. Buffalo jumps, camp sites and river/stream walks on gravel bars have to be plentiful around you. Just remember hunt where legal and with permission.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Search your area/state history on arrowheads.com and the interwebs to learn the tribes and their camp sites and hunting sites. Totally different area to artifact hunt than where I live so I have no idea how you guys do it but welcome to the forum and good luck.
          پححعظ شاهبيل

Comment

Welcome from Rhode Island. I do believe chase can help,you out, he knows that area...
            Rhode Island

Comment

Thanks guys!glad to be here, looks like a good bunch of people with lots of knowledge! Here's my first find so far. I've just been calling it a "scraper" found on friends ranch here near custer, will be pming chase for sure, thanks guys!

Comment

Welcome to arrowheads.com
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I would go back to your friends ranch, and hit that hard. You shouldn't have to drive very far from where you live to find many spots. Good luck
                  South Dakota

Comment

What helped me find my first point was finding a person to talk to in my area about where they have found or know of people finding artifacts! Good luck!
                    If both artifact and hunter lie idle, they will not meet.

Comment

• Owsley
                      Owsley commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's what I was hopping for, never expect a honey hole but a point in the right direction goes a long ways.

Welcome & continued good luck from SE VA.
                    Child of the tides

Comment

Tried to pm you chase, says you quota is reached or something. No hurry I'll be on the hunt for years to come 😉

Comment

How ya doin look I have found artifacts in lots of places thing is you got to have running water and it cant be to boxed in as no scape route and the one thing I think about is if it good enough for me to hang out for a while it was good enough for them if you start seeing busted up pieces of sharp rocks your on them and the number 1 rule is don't give up!!! When I started all my experienced buddies would skunk me every time but they helped me in my head by telling everybody has to pay their dues and that did help. Once you find that first one its on!!!!!So get after it and good luck

Comment

I am not much help because i am from Ohio but i would like to see some pics of your agate finds.

Comment

Hey there shapeshifter, We hunt both Fairburn agate and Hills agate(tepee canyon for example) have tons of pictures! I'll only post a few tho! I'm still skunked in the point department. Mostly my own doing tho kinda gave up trying, hard to find land thats not public to hunt.

Comment

Working...
                            X