Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arrowheads Book Recommendations for beginners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrowheads Book Recommendations for beginners?

Not sure if this is already post. Apologises if it is.

Which arrowhead books would you recommend a beginner who just started this hobby?

What state do you live in krispy? Are you collecting just from that region or purchasing from all over?
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Minnesota. I think I will hunting in South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, and Minnesota region to start with. Maybe in the future, I will try to hunt different region.

Comment

Here is a really good pdf you can use and or download from Minnesota gov.

Or Overstreets Identification and Price Guide, a good general overview of arrowheads (projectile points) from across the country, you should be able to get this from this web site.

Comment

• krispy
          krispy commented
          Editing a comment
          Sweet! Thank you for your comments

Agee with Greg - the Overstreet guide is a must for me and it really helps with the classification and identification of points and blades. Welcome to the hunt, Krispy.
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Stone Age Spear and Arrow Points of the Midcontinental and Eastern United States (Noel d. justice) The Overstreet's are good also.
          Last edited by JoshinMO; 01-26-2018, 06:32 PM. Reason: Assuming They live in the midcontinental or eastern united states.
          http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

+1 On the Noel Justice book. He also has one for the Western U.S.. His book features drawings and is less sensory overload than Overstreet. Having said that, you gotta have the Overstreet guide too.
            fldwlkr
            Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

• JoshinMO
              JoshinMO commented
              Editing a comment
              There is one thing that bothered me about Noel's Book. All The references to other Book's I didn't/don't have access to. Other than that It's great.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I will look into these recommendations soon.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshinMO View Post
              Stone Age Spear and Arrow Points of the Midcontinental and Eastern United States (Noel d. justice) The Overstreet's are good also.
              Justice and his cluster system of typing is great and very useful in comparing similar points in different regions. Right now, biggest problem is price. On Amazon, the cheapest used copy of that book is $59+. New, the cheapest is $156+. Glad I got a copy long ago!
              Rhode Island

Comment

• Havenhunter
                Havenhunter commented
                Editing a comment
                Boy you're not kidding! That's beyond inflation.

Just for general information and where & how to hunt, I found William Bauer's Arrowhead Hunting Guide useful when I first started out.
              Child of the tides

Comment

Really Charlie, the cost has gone up that much? One of my sons picked up my copy about 5 years ago at one of the state parks here in Indiana. $29!

Comment

• CMD
                  CMD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's a deal. Yeah, I noticed awhile ago it seems hard to get at what it must have sold when published. Sounds like it probably should be reprinted.

Krispy , I am forever learning . Being in Hawaii for so many years I have so much catching up to do and reading helps me not only learn but takes me on a journey . When I was looking up the book Havehunter q suggested the guy has a site called .. wheretofindarrowheads.com .
                This seemed to good to be true but he has a great site and a walkabout into what you will see in his book . I do like to have a hand held paperback for references but this was fun .
                check it out .

Comment

Hello krispy, i can recommend a few more. I collect artifacts AND books. But before you spend money, there are great pubs/pdfs online like at the link Greg provided. I print out the best ones. Run pdf searches for related topics in your local and state historical agencys. Also the NPS, Federal ahency, has a good set of papers online called "Early Americans", and some are regional in focus. Lots of typology pdfs out there to search.

Books, in addition to those mentioned above, this one from 1975 is great for beginners. I recall buying this used for 5-10 dollers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180203_092437-900x1200.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	283403

Name:	20180203_092512-900x1200.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	283404

Name:	20180203_093219-900x675.jpg