Google Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Earth

I was wondering if anyone had had success identifying possible fire pits/camps using the Google Earth Historical feature? It's probably hard to tell from the attached sample, but there are three areas that have been mostly devoid of vegetation, are somewhat circular and have been present for at least four years. This particular area happens to be high ground about 300 yards from a natural spring. I haven't had any success surface hunting there in the past. Thoughts?
    Kevin - North/Central Texas

I actually use a tripography map with the hieght and where the creek or river is . In my area it’s a 400-500 ft area they seem to like it . Gives me an idea where to walk for a camp and then it’s proximity to the river .
    Has helped .

Comment

I did use Google Earth a while back when I had found several points in an area that was too far from a water source to have been a camp. I had a suspicion and G Earth validated it. The area was a backwater of the nearby river at one time but by just looking at the land now you could never tell. G Earth is a cool tool for that kinda stuff.
      Last edited by BabaORiley; 02-15-2018, 03:05 PM.
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

I usually just Google my neighbor - Joe. He knows all about these here mountains and can tell ya where all the nooks and crannies are. Someone I was working with told me there were no caves on this side of the county. I mentioned that to Joe one day and he started laughing and said wanna see a cave I'll show ya a bunch of em. Just cause no one knows there here don't mean they ain't. We just don't blab it all over the county like some folk. He has personally accompanied me or I should say, I personally accompany him out on the mountain to hunt arrowheads. He also said I needed to check out this 278 acres they have on the other side of the county. Now I may Google that area to see what the topography looks like before I go. Someone on here posted a topography site a while back and I went on it and downloaded all the topo maps for this area.
        Last edited by Scorpion68; 02-15-2018, 03:17 PM.
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

I actually do quite well just using google satellite view. I look for un-naturally occurring sandy, open areas in close proximity to either a water or food source here in the desert. Places that were cleared of rocks to build wickiups.
          I would go directly to those spots you have circled and see if they are ancient fire pits or something else that would indicate a camp site.
          Winters in Arizona, summers in Michigan's UP. What could be better?

Comment

Finding sites is the easy part. Getting permission is another story in my experience.

Comment

I have had success using google earth. What i looked for was a plowed field near river or stream then zoom in just far enough to see color in soil changes. In nebraska there were more earthed in lodge (what i think they are called them) than tee pee type lodging so i have never seen any rings but i have seen where the fire pit was. It is black from charcoal and have actually walked to area s and seemed like artifacts were found in the darker charcoal containing soil where a lodge once was. I would show you a shot of it on google but it is kinda my secret honey hole and i would like to keep it that way and the landowner feels the same way. In my oppinion it works if you know what to look for.
              Good luck.

Comment

Satellites assist in the deliverance of new services enabled by the relentless shift towards an interconnected network of devices, as well as setting the stage for unleashing the next wave of disruptive technologies.

Comment

Originally posted by forrestwhite View Post
                  Satellites assist in the deliverance of new services enabled by the relentless shift towards an interconnected network of devices, as well as setting the stage for unleashing the next wave of disruptive technologies.
                  Use of Satellite Technology for Disaster Management and Relief is an example of how useful satellite technologies are to be aware of any disaster on the Earth.

Comment

I use Google earth to find creeks that look like they have potential. I've been successful on 3 or 4. I might have found them, anyway. Who knows. But I feel like it helps.
                    Western Kentucky

Comment

Didn't know you could identify fire pits like that, how do you spot them and tell them apart from just... bare areas?

I'd think that even if you found old fire pits you'd still also want to find washouts near them... imho it's harder to find where arrowheads are getting exposed than where they might be (well, I only surface hunt so that's true for me anyway). Just yesterday I found a crystal bird point in the tire tracks in my pasture, so if you know a good place you don't necessarily need a whole washout, just some patches of exposed ground.

I've use Google satellite view to find creeks and washouts, logging roads or logged lots, and crop fields in my area that I can ask for permission to hunt.

Do you see any pits in the property in this photo (attached)? It was plow-farmed in the top right field so maybe anything there would be spoiled. Still not sure who terraced that field though. What do you look for?
                      Attached Files
                      Central Iowa now, used to be in SC.

Comment

Working...
                      X