Wanna tell you about a hunter named Jay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanna tell you about a hunter named Jay

The Pics tell the story, I have found 3 artifacts, a lot of chert, flakes, flint whatever. A lot of fossils as well. With these items coming down stream usually after a heavy rain, do I keep looking of ?? Looking for Ideas. Miami Valley Ohio, Shawnee in Miami County, next county to the west were Miami Indians.

I would say You, or Jay might want to widen The search Area. It's nice looking out there, and I guess You never know Where and when Something great can be found.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Originally posted by JoshinMO View Post
      I would say You, or Jay might want to widen The search Area. It's nice looking out there, and I guess You never know Where and when Something great can be found.
      It’s me, Myname is Jay. I have tried, these are active Ag fields, but it’s funny how the amount of rocks are sporadic. Plus like I said I am going More up stream area to see where the or a source may be. Thanks for your reply.

Comment

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Sure, no problem Jay!

Hey, Jay, that's one heck of a field to walk! Do farmers still plow where you are! If the answer is yes, a plow/till run is certainly likely to bring points to the surface (sadly damages them too) & a good rain will wash them out & off so they're easier to spot.
      When I look at a field that large I wouldn't know where to start! Each hunter has their own pattern. Looks like you have already found some teasers. Good luck!
      Child of the tides

Comment

The Miami Indians had little to do with landscape of prior clans of nomadic people. However when people find a good place to camp they all take refuge in good places. If your finding signs of occupation then explore it to its fullest. But like Josh said expand your area. looks like your on the right track.
        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Keep truckin' Jay - you're on the right path (almost said patch but that would have been right to).
          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Yes, widen your search area, but keep checking the spots where you've found something. One day there might not be anything there, but after a rain, or a frost a treasure can pop up. Even the best sites don't produce every time.

Comment

Jay, I am a Miami Valley native and can tell you the points are here. I spend much of my time on the Little Miami watershed but have had some luck over on the Great Miami, Whitewater area. Look up Squire and Davis' old maps of the Great Miami. They show tons off mounds in the Dayton to Hamilton stretch. (Indian Creek in Hamilton looks inviting to me and the kayak.) I have a buddy who hunts over Carlisle way and his collection has stuff from Archaic to Woodland. I think it was William Bauer who wrote, "Look for a rock in a bowl" to describe a good place to hunt. A high spot in the field that has wind protection from higher surrounding areas.
              Keep looking... you'll find a good spot,
              fldwlkr
              Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

• Tam
                Tam commented
                Editing a comment
                That was nice if you fldwlkr

Hey Jay. I am an Illinois plowland surface hunter. I have more heartbreakers than I care to look at. You guys in Ohio, Indiana. lower Michigan, Southern Wisconsin areme boat as me. We are subject to the plow. It can be frustrating based upon what kind of soil turning practice the farmer uses. There was a reason that the NA's settled there though. Its hard to see now but a few thousand years ago the slight ridges were several feet higher with some trees that provided a nice camp site. Take advantage of that washout as well. Mother Nature has provided you with a natural sluice. Look that area over and you will get a better idea of how these artifacts are carried by heavy flows.
              Last edited by BabaORiley; 03-11-2018, 04:49 PM.
              The chase is better than the catch...
              I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Working...
              X