Where to sift in a creek?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to sift in a creek?

I have found 3 artifacts over the last two weeks. I found them just walking around. I want to look in the waterways. It’s mostly sandy should i just sift through the small gravel pockets or will the points be deposited elsewhere?

You never know where things’ll end up. Having said that nature obviously doesn’t distinguish between artifacts and regular rocks and if your finding gravel/ rocky stretches and banks I’d guess your artifacts are mixed in with it. Can’t hurt to check, heck check everything! Lol
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Gravel bars are the best place to look. But look on the banks where the creek bends too. Butkeep your eyes peeled because they could be anywhere.
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Man your on a tear! IMHO creek hunting is where it's at. If you have an idea where They camped, just down stream is a great place to start. But don't limit yourself to that immediate area. They hunted all over so arrowheads can literally be anywhere. As Jay said the rocks tend to stay together, natural or otherwise. In summer, when the water level is low, its a good time to sift the gravel bars. Welcome to the forum. And good luck in the creek!
        northeast MS

Comment

• NickRhoades
          NickRhoades commented
          Editing a comment
          I don’t have a clue where they camped and the creek banks are super super steep. We are getting a good rain currently so I may just walk the area where I found some others to see if anything worked it’s way to the surface until I can find a camp.

Nick, there are some really good creek walkers on here that will help .
        Josh has been killing the creeks so listen to him .
        My best advise is watch a few utube videos for a visual . Just watched one the other day with steep banks and they were digging them out the sides .
        I love the the ditchwalker look at his .
        Humble , informative guy on types, lithics , eras and again you get a mini class .

Comment

• JoshinMO
          JoshinMO commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Tam, but I just walk The Creek's. The gravelbar's around here are where the bank's rise into a curve and I get plenty of erosion as it is already and wouldn't wan't to mess up a creek. Of course I have seen vid's like ditch walker and know member's here like eagleeye have had some luck. But Something about that goes against My Love for Nature. I do fine walking and looking anyway.

Oklahoma is an anti-digging state. Not sure if that pertains to creeks but its not like the game wardens gonna care if he catches you coming out of the woods with a screen and shovel.

Comment

Good morning everyone. I hope this is the right thread to post some questions. The cornfield I have been hunting was planted yesterday. Out of respect for the farmer I’ll stay out of the field until the crop has been up for a while. Les than fifty yards from my hotspot is a small river so I’m going to try some sifting for artifacts. There is zero shore. Just a straight four foot drop to the waterline. The bottom appears to be silt, small rocks and pebbles. My question is what type of tools should I have on hand? I know the obvious things like a shovel and sifting screen but any tips or suggestions would be a great help. Thanks for taking a look.
          Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

Just as soon as it sprouts you can walk between the rows. Just ask if it's ok. I like to wait until I see the green so I know where to walk. I then walk it until its knee high. Some don't want you to walk it at all after plant. You just have to ask.
            NW Georgia,

Comment

Good advice for sure. Talked with the farmer about hunting yesterday. Permission and a good relationship with the land owner is number one on my list. Still plan on hitting the creek at some point.

Comment

I’ll snap some pics when I’m out that way tomorrow. The creek is about 20’ wide and has a fairly straight course with no obstruction like boulders or sandbars which has me a bit bummed out. I believe the water is about hip deep and the deepest point. The water moves along at a good clip. There are a few areas where the bank is undercut which is where I want to start to sift. This is a new way of hunting for me but I’m looking forward to the challenge.

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                  SurfaceHunter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sounds good. If the water is clear take a pic of the bottom

Maybe when the water gets lower in the summer. Sounds dangerous, probably swift. Should be some bends upstream or down
                NW Georgia,

Comment

I got my hands on three classifiers. Two commercial made and one homemade. All can fit in a typical five gallon bucket. When conditions get right I’ll be ready for some sifting near my hotspot.👍

Comment

Working...
                  X