sand bars and large rivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sand bars and large rivers

Has anyone ever hunted for artifacts on sandbars on large rivers?
    my dad had a friend I knew as a child, he has passed now, but he showed me his arrowhead “collection”when I was younger, and he had several 5 gallon buckets full, maybe 8 or ten buckets. I asked him where he found them, and he told me almost all of them he found while walking sand bars on the lower white river in eastern arkansas. We have a sand bar ( when the river is low) on our farm that is about three miles long, and it is covered with gravel and sand. Maybe covers 1200 acres or so. Would it be worth it to look there, and if so...any tips or ideas on what to look for(aside from the obvious pointy rocks).
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Hey Jethro - I'd give that a definite yes, particularly where the river turns because that's where the artifacts will wash up on shore. I have rivers near me but most of their banks and sandbars are on private property. I'd have to get permission to hunt but I'd probably be worth the trouble. Let us know when you do. Since it's on your property that makes it easier. Go for it!!
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

You really want to see some cool river walking? Lookup the Mudstompers on youtube. They do nothing but river walks, and are quite successful. I think it would be easier also, to see a point in the sand or mud.
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        Sure, you're allowed. And encouraged!

• Scorpion68
        Scorpion68 commented
        Editing a comment
        Have you tried - we're still getting youtube videos linked on the forums?

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        I have tried under guided instruction. No results.

By all means! If waterfront here in VA wasn't in private ownership, Id be out in the rivers today!
      Child of the tides

Comment

Originally posted by Kentucky point View Post
        You really want to see some cool river walking? Lookup the Mudstompers on youtube. They do nothing but river walks, and are quite successful. I think it would be easier also, to see a point in the sand or mud.
        Here ya go....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcB...V1E7PNtlFqYgig

Rhode Island

Comment

Yes Jethro I would get down there. I watch so many videos on utube also . I have even scratched the sides of our creek looking but nothing . We have a spill over are that has chips and pottery and it goes into that creek somewhere because I ain’t finding it . But it gotta be there .

Comment

Thanks... I’m going to go probably in early September. The river is a little higher than it should be right now, and I need it to drop about 4 feet for me to be able to drive out on it.
            i just keep thinking about all those points y’all find in creeks and streams, and can’t help but wonder what is in the Mighty Mississippi. I know about 40 miles upstream the entire site known as Pecan Point (some of the most beautiful Quapaw pottery ive ever seen came from there) collapsed and fell into the river about a hundred years ago, and I can only imagine the ones that were never documented up and down the river...plus, reading Desoto’s chronicles and the crossing of the great river where the natives came out and rained arrows down upon them in such numbers it blacked out the sun,(paraphrasing) on two subsequent days....well, those had to land in the water, and that’s a lot of points.😳
            Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Kentucky point
              Kentucky point commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds like you need a huntin' buddy! ;-)

Now that’s a good point ! No pun intended ..
            maybe less snakes to if it cools off s bit . I would love to walk a gravel bar and will someday .

Comment

• Kentucky point
              Kentucky point commented
              Editing a comment
              I would like to do that too. In GA, they have weird limestone, sandstone and quartz gravel bars. I saw some Youtube videos about GA arrowhead hunting, and distinguishing good points from plain quartz seems intimidating. Up here, we have chert, limestone, shale, slate and pea gravel bars. But the best place of all to search is a muddy river bank. I don't mind the snakes. :-)

Kentucky my creek is just sand . I have dug and more sand ..
            I think your just over 5 counties from me .

Comment

I think if we went to the chatahochee . They have big bars .

Comment

I've never seen anything on a sandbar but the gravelbars have artifacts. The bad thing around here is there are so few places to ride atvs and that is where those people can go.

Comment

Working...
                X