Solo Walking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solo Walking

When I go out Walking and looking I usually walk Alone. That's how It has been The last few year's, and It's alright and I think I'm probably more observant like this. And It's nice to get away from People anyway. Any solo Walker's here?
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

I walk alone Josh even with other hunters. My path takes me in a direction. And on most occasions I am by myself to go were no man has gone before lol Then is when I know I wont find artifacts.
    But I have been on hunts with others, just one this year was with a person that lost his dad and had not been on a hunt for sometime. it was good that we walked and talked. I will do it many times over the years
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

I have gone out twice looking for arrowheads. The first time was solo, and I found the Hopewell that won this months contest. The next time, I went out with people, but I was at least 200 yards away from them. I like moving at my own speed with peace and quiet.
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Depending on the area I always walk alone . It’s a time when I connect with nature and take it all in . Even if I drive out with Wayne to any area he is on the other side of the field .
        I am such a loner anyway .

Comment

I’m a loner when I hunt. I find chatter distracting & I enjoy the “zone” I drop into as I set my own pace.
          Child of the tides

Comment

I hunt alone I have asked people but nobody seems interested. They are not infected. I go with my kids sometimes but they end up wanting to catch frogs and get mad a me when I'm looking for "rocks" instead of amphibians. Seems to work best alone.
            Central Ohio

Comment

I do walk Alone, but over the years I have gotten out with member as well as other hunters. We get into a site and spread out. I have been in Junipers, vast barren land corn fields, soy bean crops. forested areas, creeks rivers. all terrain. I assess the land for topographical features and go in the direction it takes me. Other may have there own take and head off in other directions I have been on hunts where we were ten feet apart and talked the whole time. I've bee on hunts Where everyone are sifting beads and ask where did yo get your dirt. I been call a little s**t. But the best part is when You return to a group and have something to show!
              Last edited by painshill; 09-28-2021, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Like minded PPL get together there is always a story to be told.and I like a story. Go figure. life is an adventure, but I get to study the past With what better for me Which we can get to gather knowledge in touch with how ppl lived.
                Last edited by chase; 08-26-2018, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Yeah, Josh, I often as not walk alone. My partner in hunting, for near 30 years now, is my wife, and when we walk together, who cares who's lucky and who's not, it's all coming home to the same collection. Now, when I hunt with others, let's say we walk a beach and let's say the person I'm walking with walks faster, and crisscrosses the beach from on high to the water line. I end up walking in their wake, and really, what good does that do me? Lol, not much, especially if they are a great hunter. Well, actually my wife falls in that category, but, again, it's all coming home and two sets of eyes are better then one. But, alone, I can go at my own pace, not walk in somebody's wake, and quit when I'm ahead, or, more likely, too pooped to walk anymore....
                  Rhode Island

Comment

• Tam
                    Tam commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Us as well Charlie

Originally posted by Havenhunter View Post
                  I’m a loner when I hunt. I find chatter distracting & I enjoy the “zone” I drop into as I set my own pace.
                  I'm with you, 100 percent. When I get in the zone, time just flies by. I'm not saying that I would never hunt with someone, especially if their showing me a place I can find something. Lol! But when I'm hunting, I'm on a mission and don't need company.

Comment

I’ve only had one bad encounter hunting alone but, as a woman, I realize it could have gone down badly. Last week was unusually cool & breezy for August here in the VA Tidewater. I was walking an empty stretch of beach when I spotted a man walking towards me. Now the folks around here are friendly but polite & keep a respectful distance. This guy was just plain creepy as he angled towards me.
                    He got within ten feet of me with what I can only describe as a leer & said “hey there girly”. My hand instinctively tightened on my walking stick. Just then my dog, who had been hidden in the beach grass, came roaring down on the beach, barking maniacally. The guy stopped dead, backed up & ran the other way.
                    Thats the one & only time I’ve been afraid walking solo.
                    Child of the tides

Comment

• CMD
                      CMD commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Let's hope that's the one and only time.

• JoshinMO
                      JoshinMO commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I must know about The Dog! lol

• eannis6
                      eannis6 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm with bobbs and like to carry when I can. I'm sorry this happened to you, but it I am thankful you had your dog.

My preference has always been solo walking. However, recently my 16yo son began walking with me out of curiosity. After 3 outings, he finally found his first broken point. He was so stoked he now wants to go all the time. And I'm perfectly fine with that!
                    My grandpa never went without taking me along, so I'm happy to share this time with my boy. So much better than XBox.

Comment

Josh, he’s a 65 lb. Standard poodle & extremely protective! My friend takes him to hunt squirrels. He’s my hunting partner & I feel safe when he’s around.
                      Child of the tides

Comment

I'm a lone hunter, not by choice, that's just the way it is nowadays. My wife, who used to hunt with me is now handicapped from osteoporosis and unable to do the long walks. I occasionally take my daughter and the grandkids and the occasional visitors to the mountain who want to try their hand at it. I like introducing people to the hobby and showing them how to hunt and what to look for. But, for the most part, I'm alone with good ole Mother Nature and we get along just fine.
                        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

When I surface hunt I'm a loner it kills me to have someone find an artifact where I just walked .

Comment

Working...
                          X