G.P.S. Unit to mark your sites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.P.S. Unit to mark your sites?

Anyone use a hand held G.P.S. unit to mark your finds? Seems like a really good idea and I have been using one for three years. Works great because it not only marks the spot so you can return after rain or wind but makes it possible to share sites with others. I know hunters use them and we use ours for Geocaching but wondered if anybody else used them. One of our finds.

I use GPS to mark sites, and also to mark pertinent locations within sites.  I do need to upgrade my GPS though, I've been using a Magellan explorist 200 for several years now.

Comment

Sounds like a great idea.  Not for me.  I mark fishing spots, LOL.
      I'd love to be a Wildlife Officer or Archae-Cop and find a perp (someone on state lands, etc.) with his GPS book. :unsure:  :S  :woohoo: .............!@!
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

OK I guess :laugh:  that if you are going to be out on that land you would need to code your cords. Like change 2's to 3's and then your readings would not get you into trouble. We do a lot of geocaching in Arizona on state and BLM land and I never look down when out there. :woohoo:

Comment

Yes I have used Garmin to record site findings since I started collecting. For hunting plowed fields I record each find (even if broken) not just the site. Helps you find the hot spots within the area your hunting. Works for me, its like pieces are concentrated on high ground or natural terraces. You can map the area you hunt and cut down on the walking time.

Comment

Never thought of that but sounds like a good idea! Have a GPS unit as does everything. They work great for lost people and we use them on the tractors when planting. A new application, I might try it next time I go out once the wintery coat has left the ground.

Comment

Pretty cool idea.I use google earth..

Comment

Hey Jon, yea I use google to. I use the map to  plot where I find pieces, all pieces. If you do it over a long period of time I think it will help find what I call hot spots. I will let you know how it works this spring. This will be 3rd spring hunting same fields and will do GPS again for all finds, hope it points to same place as last year. Many flakes, whole -and- broken pieces found last year. You can almost picture where they lived. High ground above the creek,there are places all you find are scrapers and other tools as a work area. Then other places you find points, blades -and- pottery pieces that makes you think this is where they kept their families and made it home.

Comment

May The snow,the rain,and the wind bring you good tidings next year to you Joe and all..You know? before all this technology i used ariel maps i collected from soil conservation..Geographical maps..use to get them free..

Comment

They couldnt refuse them to me legally.Id march into their offices and ask.Got some pretty weird looks...

Comment

Thanks guys glad to know that I was not the only one out there recording to the foot my finds. Good luck to all and Happy holidays

Comment

In the past few years in Arizona and New Mexico I have recored the cords. for several Indian sites. Even if I can't hunt them it is fun to know where they are and someday I may get the list all together. Also while Geocaching we have come across some beautiful Indian sites. A lot of the locals hide caches by historic sites and of course we are always looking for the older users. One beautiful big cave just a mile off the Colorado untouched as far as I can tell we fould while caching. It is huge a good 25 feet wide and that deep just has to be used. I walked in but there was so much blown in dirt and bat droppings that you could not see much also dark as I had no light. Well all you guys have a super day. Justy have to throw in a artifact sorry

Comment

Very cool i hunted New Mexico as i know land  barons there.I found a cave once with an opening barely big enough to squeeze in.When i got in what did i find..?.a big wooden door..thats another story though..Laters

Comment

Working...
                          X