Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moved from Georgia to SW Virginia. Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moved from Georgia to SW Virginia. Help!

Been surface collecting in central and Northwest Georgia for 11 years. I have lots of good spots and am used to choosing where to look after each rain. Now, i am in Bedford, Virginia and I've spent 100+ hours just looking for a spot to get out of the truck and look but have found NOTHING but livestock farms and steep sided mountain lakes and streams. I am heartbroken, i may never get to do my favorite thing in the world again. If anyone out there hunts in my area or knows an agricultural field i can get permission to look in, i would be more thankful than i can put into words.

Kenneth, I feel your pain! Hope someone from Virginia can give you some good tips. I can tell you that the Nottoway River area of Virginia is a good area for hunting artifacts, although that's probably a long drive from SW Virginia. If Virginia has an amateur society, there may be avocational archaeologists and surface hunters there that can help out. Good luck and welcome to the forum!
    Charlie
    Just found these links. Looks like the Nottoway River drainage wouldn't be that long a haul from Bedford, Va.That area might very well be your best bet as there are agricultural fields along the river.

Rhode Island

Comment

Kenneth, this is an old paper, but a careful reading may provide you with some clues.......

Rhode Island

Comment

Have you walked any dirt roads? Used to walk a few up here in CT many moons ago and they would produce points.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Cannot help you with this but can wish you luck in finding an area to walk. welcome to the forum.
          Jack

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Good luck on finding some new sites.
            Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Welcome Kenneth and good luck on finding sites in your new area. And hey, lets see some of your stuff from Georgia!
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

sent you a pm...you're in a good area.

Comment

I found a small field far from a water source but was turned over about a foot and a half deep! I got permission from the owner and had my first Virginia points in minutes! What a great day! Check out that blade in the top center! Even found one flint point and a few flint chips and an old bottle from the turn of the century.

Comment

Nice turn of events! Looks like you got some good info from some of the folks here. Congrats.
                    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I always find the farm and ask the farmer and get it in writing that its ok

Comment

Now thats cool! Whoever gave you the inside tip should be applauded! That is a dandy blade and like the color of the one to the left of it.

Comment

I just found the field randomly driving. Its a small field, almost drove by it

Comment

I wonder if those foot prints I use to see here in NW Georgia were yours. Cause I dont see them anymore  :dry: . I went to lake Altoona the other day and found some nice white quartz pieces. Mostly scrapers and one whole point and some type of tool or a spear head not sure which. Check out my pictures and see if you know what it is. Hope you like Virginia.

Comment

kb super nice finds good job man! Now is the best time to scout. I see a dirt road and start looking beyond the tree line. You would be surprised at how many farms have sold road  front to pay taxes but still have plowed fields hidden away in the back lots beyond the tree lines. Good luck in your hunt.
                              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                              X