A new greenhorn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new greenhorn!

Hi, curious if anyone has any help for me we just moved to western SD and would like to start arrowhead hunting how do I figure out where Indians camped and what areas they would have been in? Any help would be appreciated!

Hey Msdirks - Welcome aboard - we're glad you're here and hope you stay and show us what you find in your new addiction. Actually it becomes an addiction after your first find but it's all good. We have Gary from Northern South Dakota who might be able to help you with the SD terrain. I'm in Tennessee so can't help much there. Best advice I can give from my point of view is to make sure you have permission to arrowhead hunt the area you want to hunt on. Best if you own it to begin with. I look for washout areas because, after a good rain, artifacts tend to become unearthed and brought to the surface by the water. Creeks and river banks are also good areas to hunt. You don't always have to have an encampment to find artifact. I've found lots of points on the surface, just lying on the ground after a rain that were probably lost during a hunt. But - let's wait for someone from your area to chime in with better advice. Again welcome and hope you enjoy your new location.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Master Chief
      Sir, were you a crew member of USS Scorpion 589 the boat that went down in May of 1968 ?

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      I was in her crew in 1966 - She was my first boat. In 1968, When Scorpion went down, I was deployed in USS Ray (SSN653) when we got the message about her being overdue.

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Condolences , it’s been a long while... I know you lost friends..I know you honor them, TY Sir .

Sound advice from Scorpion, also check state and federal laws for what is permissible.
    Scroll through the pages in this section you posted in "Artifact hunting tips and advice". A lot of good information from a lot of folks across the country.
    Use google earth to get a birds eye view or even better if your county or counties have aerial maps that show the parcels and who owns them. Get to know the local farmers.
    Welcome
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Welcome from Connecticut...
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Also you can goggle utube for people looking for points in your area .
        Maybe google looking for arrowheads in SD utube . I got some pretty cool ideas from people in other areas I have applied or will .
        But most important like everyone advised make sure you get permission and most state parks are illegal .
        just look up your laws .

Comment

Working...
        X