Take a look at my property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take a look at my property

So I've been hunting for arrowheads all my life but it was mainly walking behind plows in the summertime or checking the edges of fields. I have rights to about 200 acres of bottom land next to the Yadkin. However, these fields never get turned up anymore. Whats neat about this land is that it has very high ridges leading down to the bottom. There is anywhere between 50 to 100 feet of rise up to other fields. There are also 2 creeks that run through the property to the river, one on the north side and one on the south side. I've poked around and dug in a couple places. Take a look at these maps and tell me where you would try. I will say that some of the land is my family's and I know of some really good documented Indian history on this land. Please ask me question so I can get the best help

I would stick closer to the creeks and the river. Anywhere there might be a little erosion should be good.
    South Dakota

Comment

What state? I would check in the creeks. If you find some rite after a bend often I would guess the creek is cutting into a site that could tell you where to go next
      NW Georgia,

Comment

And welcome to the site
        South Dakota

Comment

These creeks are very narrow but the one on the south side has cut out a very deep ravine, about 200 yards from the river. I'm just curious how far away from the river would they have camped? My oldest relative I was able to trace moved to the area around 1720. He owned over 2000 acres of land and most of it is still in the family. Records show that he and his family was run off the property by a war party and had to seek asylum at a Moravian settlement a few miles from there, during the French and Indian War.

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            The property between the creek and river would be ideal imo. Look for a high spot. When 2 waterways connect is always a good location if there is a rise where they would of camped

Hi and welcome,

I live in Davidson County NC. You should be able to find some artifacts in your area. The whole Yadkin River valley is a hot spot. Given all the rain we have had I would check any area that shows signs of erosion and walk the fields looking at any bare spot. Also look for ground hog holes. Are the guys that farm Dinkin’s Bottom rotating corn and soy beans in those fields?

They would camp on high ground above the flood plane.

Von

Comment

• djhege
            djhege commented
            Editing a comment
            That"s good because I have several area looking over the river to search in. I don't want to get too far ahead of my self but I was checking out the land last fall and found a mound of river rocks on top of one of these flat ridges. Approximately 7 feet long and 3 feet wide. I've been digging around this area, hoping to uncover something but am really curious as to what is under that mound.

• Von
            Von commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi,

Read the laws very carefully. The last thing you want to do is disturb a gravesite. It’s highly illegal to disturb a gravesite even on private property. There’s information on this site about State and Federal laws including North Carolina.

Von
            Last edited by Von; 01-31-2019, 10:18 PM.

Hi djhege welcome is that where Duchmans creek comes into Yadkin? The Yadkin valley is probably the best place to artifact hunt in NC. I've dove hunted Perkins game land before cool spot. Look everywhere you have permission. I haven't ever dug so I probably not much help as where to dig from pictures but sure someone might be able to give you some ideas.
          N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• djhege
            djhege commented
            Editing a comment
            No this is farther north. But I am very familiar with Perkins. I was just down there a couple weeks ago. Have you been down to the bottoms field on the south east side of the land lately? I was down there a couple weeks ago and it looked like a beach from all the floods we've had this fall/winter.

• Sugaree
            Sugaree commented
            Editing a comment
            No it's been a while since I've been around that area I'm actually in WNC but hunt the Piedmont around Mecklenburg. A good buddy lives near the Perkins game land I've seen a lot of good collections from that area. I occasionally woodduck hunt Duchmans creek.

Here is an old axe head that was found near the property. I do not believe it to be Indian. More than likely from a Moravian settler.

Comment

• djhege
            djhege commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s polished stone. Almost perfect with a small chip on the blade where a plow hit it. Anyone here know of someone in NC I can take it to and have it examined?

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            I don’t want to call it the wrong type but flare bit comes to mind if someone can post the site peach state archeology society has some nice examples of stone celts and the types and good information on them

• Jethro355
            Jethro355 commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks as native as a teepee to me. That thing is nice, and whether you call it a Celt or an axe or a hoe, it’s a really nice piece.

Nice property...I'd look anywhere and everywhere man...welcome from Connecticut
          SW Connecticut

Comment

DJ, what everyone said is good information . Surfacehunter hit it in the nail what I do . One other thing in the one typography map if each line is 10 ft or 100 ft use that . There is another person on this site that we discuss this . It seems like SH said is think of yourself living on this land . You would want to be in high ground or better yet between the rivers/ streams . What I notice is a few camps in my area are at about the 500 ft level but of course farming etc has changed so much in 5000 years not to mention the bend of your creeks and water supply .
            Take all this into consideration and if your finding a tool that’s a darn good start . You know the drill chips will lead to points but to answer your map and land do look for the higher ground .
            Walk those creeks . I only have muddy sandy ones do no help there.

Comment

Take a look at this article. Its very technical and does not apply to your area but you might gleam some ideas as to where to look. Best of luck.

Comment

Working...
              X